Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Standard (2003 R2) and SQL Server

Hi,

After deploying Windows 2003 SBS R2 Standard, the client now requires SQL Server for running Goldmine, and MS Business Contact Manager (Shared).

Is the cheapest option to purchase a upgrade from Standard to Premium to accuire the Premium Technologies disks from MS? This would give them MS SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition, which is support in both mentioned applications?

Thanks,

PaulG.

Re: SBS Standard (2003 R2) and SQL Server

Not sure about Goldmine, but BCM can be run on MSDE or the 2005 equivalent (SSEE) without the need for full SQL WE. In any case, th eupgrade to premium would be the most economical soluion as soon as you need full 2005.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

They are very close in price, but its cheaper in the sense that you get ISA too, you may not need it now, but you never know.

Got to ask though why Goldmine and BCM, is that not redundant?
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks,

There is a BCM admin tool that allows you to create the DB on the SQL server so that it can be shared amongst multiple users, and when running this tool it doesn't allow me to continue with the MSDE on the server. It says it needs Microsoft SQL Express 2005 SP2 (32-bit only) or Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP2 (32-bit only).

Windows 2003 SBS Premium should have been ordered, but they got the Standard, so a update path to SQL is certain. and yes, ISA would be nice to have for the future.

PaulG.

Comment

Working...
        X