Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No DHCP for off domain clients or peripherals

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can help, I'm struggling with this one.

We have SBS 2003 without ISA. DHCP will happily issue leases to clients on the domain. It will not issue a lease to a client that has not been added to the domain, eg my laptop, or other nodes, eg a network fax.

I have tried giving my laptop and the fax (which is ny preference long term) a static ip from both the same subnet but not the scope, and a currently unused address from the scope, but no joy. Cannot even ping the server. They're all plugging into the same switch so nothing in between to block traffic. Have switched off all firewalls on my laptop as well.

Have tried rebooting the server and clients, you know, just in case.

DHCP is definitely running because domain PCs get addresses everyday. My laptop used to pick up an IP address quite happily. I cannot think of a single thing that has changed. Everything I've found to do with DHCP and SBS is ISA related, but we don't use it.

Any bright ideas much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Carina.

Re: No DHCP for off domain clients or peripherals

How is "Secure Updates" configured?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Configured to dynamically update and autodiscard on the server but not the scope. I'll admit to not knowing the difference this might make... Is this the culprit?

Comment

AFAIK, a failure to register or update A and PTR records in DNS will not cause DHCP to not issue a lease. Have you looked at your scope to make sure that there are available addresses? I would recommend putting a traffic sniffer on one of the affected machines and on the server and run a capture while issuing a ipconfig/ release and ipconfig/ renew on the client to see what kind of DHCP traffic you see.

Comment

There's definitely enough leases.

I've tried different cables, different switch jacks, this is driving me loopy!

I'll post back if the traffic sniffer turns up anything exciting.

Thanks for your help folks.

Comment

Working...
          X