Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use exchange server on separate machine than PDC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use exchange server on separate machine than PDC?

Hi,

I am using Windows 2003 Server as a PDC and have a SBS 2000 server in the same domain. Can I use the SBS 2000 server as the IIS and exchange server by logging on to the domain using administrator account? I would like to use the features in SBS 2000 server eg. exchange server and ISA server, but simultaneously would like to use Windows 2003 server as PDC. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Best regards,
    TKT

SBS has some nasty restrictions. One of them is that it wants to be the first DC in the domain. You CAN add additional DCs to the domain, but I think you MUST install the SBS first (I might be wrong on this issue, it's been long since I last touched SBS). Anyway, you CAN use SBS as your Exchange server, and you can have another DC (Win2003 or W2K) in the same domain.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi,

Do you mean that the SBS server which is not the PDC can be used as Exchange server in the domain? How to create the user account for Exchange users in the SBS server? Creating a new user in active directory won't create email account in the Exchange server in SBS server. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Best regards,
      TKT

Comment

i really don't like you're setup

2 dc's which 1 of them is an SBS. maybe better to shoot down you're sbs server, but that my opinion.

ok Which one carries AD (both i asume) on which machine do you want to create a new user?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Don't mean to jump into the thread with a drive-by comment, but SBS doesn't allow additional DCs only member servers.

SBS is meant to be an all-in-one solution for small businesses that can't afford a distributed computing model. Allowing multiple DCs defeats its purpose. If needs demand more than one DC an upgrade is required to a full blown version of Windows and the associated applications found within SBS (Exchange2003, ISA2000, SQL2000, Outlook2003, Frontpage2003 more or less depending on the version of SBS).
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

I would like to just use the SBS server as a member of the domain. There is no active directory in it. The main purpose to use SBS server is that I wanna use the features in it which includes Exchange server, ISA server etc. The PDC is a Windows 2003 server. Do you think this configuration can work with SBS server operating as Exchange server and IIS server?

Thanks.

Best regards,
            TKT

Comment

Not likely, unless you can remove the DC role from SBS. I'm unsure if that is possible and like Daniel mentioned SBS is very strict about what it allows you to do. I've only tested SBS and never used it in a production environment because of the extensive limitations MS has placed on it.

IMO SBS is so different from the stand alone apps that it deserves its own forum.
              Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

I have demoted the SBS server, so there is no active directory in it. I am just using it as a member of the domain, and use administrator account to log in so that there is no restriction in using it. Do you think it can still be used as Exchange server and IIS server in this scenario?

Thanks.

Best regards,
                TKT

Comment

No no no no!

You do NOT use an SBS server as a member server.

Noooo!

SBS is a cheap method to operate your network, and it is tuned in such a way that it cannot be used for some functions, not like "regular" servers.

Use your SBS as the main DC (or PDC Emulator), and if you want, install a second DC that is not SBS.

You cannot use 2 SBS servers on the same domain.

You CAN use SBS along with another "regular" DC, as long as the SBS is the primary DC.

You CAN install Exchange on the other server (DC or not), and you CAN choose not to install Exchange on the SBS.

If you choose to install Exchange on a different DC (or a different member server, as long as it is NOT another SBS server) then you MUST use the "regular" version of Exchange, NOT the SBS version.

And all this is without looking into license issues.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Petri (Mitsu)
                    You CAN use SBS along with another "regular" DC, as long as the SBS is the primary DC.
                    I asked this question at a technet event here in Orlando a few months ago. The MS rep said, you can't use additional DCs SBS or not with SBS2003.

So he was wrong then?
                    Andrew

Comment

Hi,

I tried to install Windows 2000 Advanced Server as another DC for the SBS server which was the PDC last time, but it couldn't work. Does it mean that SBS server must be standalone server, and couldn't even function as a DC in environment where there is another PDC in the domain?

Thanks.

Best regards,
                      TKT

Comment

I know for sure that SBS2000 could allow you to have another DC in the same domain, just as long as it was the FIRST DC.

You couldn't add the SBS server as a DC AFTER you already set up the domain with a regular DC.

However, I might be wrong about SBS2003. I didn't play too much with it and I figured it had the same "features" as SBS2000. I could be wrong. In that case, your situation is even worse.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi,

Can you show me the way to use Windows 2003 server as the second DC with SBS 2000 as the first DC? I tried before, and it didn't work. Windows 2003 couldn't install itself as a DC in the same forest as the PDC which was SBS 2000. What is the way to implement?

Thanks.

Best regards,
                          TKT

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Petri (Mitsu)

However, I might be wrong about SBS2003. I didn't play too much with it and I figured it had the same "features" as SBS2000. I could be wrong.

Sorry, as I said, I don't know.
                            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

what is the exact error you get when trying to add the computer to the domain... ?
                              Yaniv Feldman
                              Microsoft Security Regional Director
                              Microsoft Management Expert
                              MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

Working...
                              X