Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about recovering mail on SBS2003

hello all,
    i have SBS2003 with exchange, and one of my user deleted one of his folders in the mail box , he can't see it on "deleted items" and he wants me to recover the missing folder ... can i do it on SBS 2003 Preimum ??
    if so can someone write down how to do it ??

thanks a lot
    OK103

Re: about recovering mail on SBS2003

How long ago did he delete the folder?
    Default retention time is 7 days.
    When he hard deleted the folder and the retention time has not been reached, you still can recover the folder using Outlook.
    To enable the recovery of hard deleted items, modify following registry key on the client.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Cli ent\Options
    Click add value and click next.
    Name: DumpsterAlwaysOn
    Type: DWORD
    Value: 1

If the retention time has expired, you need to restore from a backup to your recovery storage group.
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

I hope you are not talking about a public folder....
      If you are, and the retention time has not expired, you can use PFDAVADMIN to recover the folder.
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
      [Powershell]
      Start-DayDream
      Set-Location Malibu Beach
      Get-Drink
      Lay-Back
      Start-Sleep
      Wake-Up!
      Resume-Service
      Write-Warning
      [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

he deleted the folder yesterday, how do i do the recovery from the outlook ??
        he can't see it from the "deleted items" ...
        can i do it from the exchange???

thanks for your help .
        ok103

Comment

Check this MS link:
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246153

You will need to do a registry edit (I think the same as Killerbe said above) then you have a new option in the outlook menus

Note there is (by default) a 7 day period when you can do this, so GET CRACKING!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

what's the name of te new option ??
            i entered regedit on my client computer and i went to to route Killerbe wrote down ... and it says what Killerbe wrote but where do i see it on my outlook menu??

please help me out ..
            OK103

Comment

Its in the article:
              You can use an administrator's computer or a user's computer to make this change to the registry. After you change the registry, start Outlook, and then click Deleted Item Recovery on the Tools menu. A list of items that have been hard deleted during the retention time set on the server is displayed.

If you are an administrator, you can set this functionality for all user workstations. To do so, use your computer to change the registry for all user workstations, and then open the affected user's mailbox as an additional mailbox. You can then recover deleted items from the user's mailbox mail folders.
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i did it , thanks .
                this the way by microsoft :
                1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
                2. Locate and click the following key in the registry:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Cli ent\Options
                3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
                Value name: DumpsterAlwaysOn
                Data type: DWORD
                Value data: 1
                4. Quit Registry Editor.
                You can use an administrator's computer or a user's computer to make this change to the registry. After you change the registry, start Outlook, and then click Deleted Item Recovery on the Tools menu. A list of items that have been hard deleted during the retention time set on the server is displayed.

NOTE :
                that on the OUTLOOK under tools there is an option called "recover deleted items" ---- see that you are on the folder or the subfolder that you deleted the mail ... and then go to tool --- recover deleted items --- and then the outlook will recover all the deleted mails/folders.

thanks everyone that helped me ... you have been a great help !!!
                cheers

ok103

Comment

I suggest you distribute this through Group Policy rather than regedit on every computer in the organisation. can help!
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X