Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making folder non visible to users

hello all ,
    i have SBS 2003 and i want to secure the folders on the server , i made the permissions for each user and i want to make the folders not visible to other users.
    for exsample if i have a usernamed " Joe" and he has his own folder on the server and when he logs on to the computer he will see only his folder .

can you please help me ?

thanks a lot

OK103

Re: making folder non visible to users

Depending on how many client PCs you have, for a small network you could share each folder out and add a dollar sign to the end of the share name, like Joe$ or Sarah$ for the sharenames. Then nobody can see any of the shares and so then you add a shortcut to \\servername\joe$ to Joe's desktop, and so on.

But this will be a difficult thing to do with lots of users, so it is not ideal, just a suggestion to start off with.

So, you could make all folders visible, and the users would only see them if they browse to \\servername on it's own. But you could then discourage that by giving each user a shortcut on their desktop to \\servername\singlesharename\foldername-for-that-user and/or redirect their My Documents folder to that share (one each for each user), then users would not browse to the server, rather they would use their own "My Documents" folder and simply be unaware of the other folders. Even if they do browse to the other folders, you have secured them anyway. I always prefer to have just one top-level share of possible.

So now here's another approach which I have not tried yet: that is go to special permissions and do not give users "List" permissions to the top level folder. You would have to combine this idea with the suggestion in the paragraph above.

Hope some of these considerations give you something to think about.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Re: making folder non visible to users

Y'know, having just read this thread , you may also like to consider disabling netbios, then just give each user a shortcut to their folder under the share.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
      X