Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWBIE needs help setting up SBS 2003 so client machines can connect

Hi

I'm new to Small Business Server 2003 but have managed to install it and get the internet running and all the other general tasks that a computer needs. I have used the following to setup internet access on the server:

IP: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS Server: Have set as the default gateway as everytime I try to enter the IP address of the server I lose internet access.

So the issue I'm having is that when I go to a cleint machine and try to add it to the domain I receive the following message:

A domain controller for th domain new could not be contacted.

I'm typing the exact name which appears in AD (new.local)

Any help to solve this issue for a NEWBIE would be great.

Re: NEWBIE needs help setting up SBS 2003 so client machines can connect

Is DNS running on the server as it looks like that is the problem.

Comment

Yes I think this is the problem but I don't know how to check if this is the case?

Is their a easy to follow guide or wizard that will show me how to set it up or even to check that it is enabled?

Comment

I have managed to work out how to get the server to connect to the interent using isn't own IP address as the DNS and for it to forward other request to my ISPs DNS servers so that I can surf the internet.

But I still can't manage to connect a cleint machine to the server's domain.

Any ideas what I need to do?

Comment

Have you set this SBS server up manually (settings wise) or have you used the Wizards? If you used the Wizards then all the appropriate information can be entered when prompted for it.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It's an IBM server and it ways already installed with SBS 2003 so I just used a few of the wizards and have managed to get the SBS server to access the internet using its IP address as the DNS server.

It can ping the other computers which are all connected to the modem/router but they can't seem to ping the server.

All the cleint computer are set to receive IP details from the DHCP server and because of this the cleint machines chose the default gateway as their DNS. They can surf the internet. As soon as I set the DNS to the server's IP address they can't access the net but can still ping the modem/router.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to go about fixing it?

Also due to this I can't connect the PCs to the domain.

Comment

Can you post an IPCONFIG /ALL here please (from the Server).
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Here is the IP Config for server:

Host Name: NEWF1
                Primary DNS Suffix: new.local
                Node Type: Hybrid
                IP Routing Enabled: No
                WINS Proxy Enabled: No
                DNS Suffix Search List: new.local

DHCP Enabled: No
                Ip Address: 192.168.1.100
                Subnet: 255.255.255.0
                DNS Server: 192.168.1.100
                Primary WINS Server: 10.0.0.3

I also turned of the DHCP server which was enabled in the modem/router.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Comment

And you are surprised that the clients can't find the domain controller? They are looking for it on the Internet as their default gateway is .254.
                  Now, the UTFW way - turn OFF the DHCP on the router/gateway. You will probably need to install DHCP server manually on the SBS. Set options 003 (gateway) to .254, 006 (DNS) to your SBS, 015 (domain extension) to new.local, 044 (WINS) to your SBS and 045 to 0x8.
                  Run the CEICW telling it you have a single NIC (checkbox) and put your ISP's DNS settings when asked (they get added as forwarders in your DNS ). Run the rest and then use the setup client computers' wizard. When you are finished you can then join each computer to the network via //<server>/connectcomputer as you are prompted at the end of the client computer wizard.

Post back with your report sheet
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                    turn OFF the DHCP on the router/gateway.
                    Done

You will probably need to install DHCP server manually on the SBS. Set options 003 (gateway) to .254, 006 (DNS) to your SBS, 015 (domain extension) to new.local, 044 (WINS) to your SBS and 045 to 0x8.
                    Where can I find the option to do this?

Run the CEICW telling it you have a single NIC (checkbox) and put your ISP's DNS settings when asked (they get added as forwarders in your DNS ).
                    I run it and it tells me a plug and play router is detected on the network and it can set it up to work if I use the wizard so I selectno and do it manualy. It ask for an ISPs DNS servers so I enter them followed by the IP Address of the router which connects to the internet (192.168.1.254). I then select it to use a single network card and then run through the other details.

then use the setup client computers' wizard.
                    I then do this and just leave the default settings that the wizard uses but enter the name extacting the same name which the cleint computer is named as.

To start the Set Up Computer Wizard, click Start, and then click Server Management. In the console tree, click Client Computers. In the details pane, click Set Up Client Computers.

you can then join each computer to the network via //<server>/connectcomputer as you are prompted at the end of the client computer wizard.
                    Try this http://newf1/connectcomputer but receive the page cannot be displayed error.

Post back with your report sheet
                    Here is the IP Configure from the server:

Primary WINS Server: 10.0.0.3

And also from the cleint computer:

Host Name: NEWF3
                    Primary DNS Suffix: Is blank
                    Node Type: Unknown
                    IP routing: No

IP Address: 192.168.1.103
                    Gateway: 192.168.1.100
                    DNS Servers: 192.168.1.100

Comment

The client should be DHCP Enabled: Yes (Is the client set up with a Static IP? )
                      The Default Gateway needs to be changed to 192.168.1.254 (This may automatically change when the client starts using DHCP)
                      Where does the WINS Server 10.0.0.3 come from? Do you have another server running on this network?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        The client should be DHCP Enabled: Yes (Is the client set up with a Static IP? )
                        The Default Gateway needs to be changed to 192.168.1.254 (This may automatically change when the client starts using DHCP)
                        Where does the WINS Server 10.0.0.3 come from? Do you have another server running on this network?
                        Yes is set to static. I have changed the default gateway to 192.168.1.254 but still no improvement.

Not sure where the WIN server comes from.

Comment

Post IPCONFIG /ALL from client machine. (How many clients are you running?)

Edit Server NIC Properties and remove the WINS or if WINS has been installed on the SBS Server, point to the SBS IP.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Post IPCONFIG /ALL from client machine. (How many clients are you running?).
                            Currently just the server and one cleint. Will try to add others later but can't manage to connect the first one.

Edit Server NIC Properties and remove the WINS or if WINS has been installed on the SBS Server, point to the SBS IP.
                            Have done.

IP config's below:

And also from the cleint computer:

Host Name: NEWF3
                            Primary DNS Suffix: Is blank
                            Node Type: Unknown
                            IP routing: No

IP Address: 192.168.1.103
                            Gateway: 192.168.1.254
                            DNS Servers: 192.168.1.100

Comment

Try setting the Client to get everything from DHCP and see what happens. If it still doesn't work, another IPCONFIG /ALL from the client. This is to see if you have set DHCP correctly.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X