No announcement yet.

How to properly move home folders?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to properly move home folders?

The users home folders / profiles are stored on my SBS2003 server. I want to move them to another server and let the other server handle the logons. First of all I can't open a user folder as an administrator. Also the administrative rights can not be viewed by me. When I take ownership of the folder I can set the rights so that the administrator account can open and copy the folder.
    After this I give ownership back to the specific user and set the rights back as they were. When I log on with this account on a workstation it says that the profile cannot be found.

What is a good way to copy all of the profile maps to my other server?

Thanks in advance,

Re: How to properly move home folders?

Any help here ?
    Move Data Folders

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Thanx Teiger,

this will work. Als very handy for some other problems!~

Yeap, i used the same guide, more specifically i used the Xcopy command onpage 7 and i worked beautifully.

Xcopy C:\”Users Shared Folders” D:\”Users Shared Folders” /e /o /d /h /v /c>>C:\Copyresults.txt

This one moves the share from the default location on C to the D drive without changing the permissions.