Freezing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing

My server freezes almost every night. Seems to happen around 2 am. I have had a computer tech look it over, and he is stumped.

Any ideas what might trigger such a thing? It doesn't happen every night, but at least 4 times a week.

Thanks,
    David

Re: Freezing

Hi Shekala,

From the time (2am) I would imagine its something to do with a backup job. By freezing do you mean that it is generally slow or entirely unuseable at this time?
    Itr would be great if you could elaborate on this point.

I would get your IT technician to check the following:

Is your backup software VSS aware?
    Any VSS aware databases/applications running on the system?
    Do you have a DAT (ie DDS) based tape backup device? They are notoriously unreliable, especially the newer ones...

Its unlikely but I'd check any corporate anti-malware scheduled updates. I had a big problem with Sunbelt Software's Counterspy. Then again I had a big problem with Veritas' Backup Exec also...

Let me know the hardware specification on the server, too...

Regards,

Gibjon.

Comment

Hi - thanks for the response. We don't back up at the server level. and i think the only database running is Quickbooks. The server is an HP.

Comment

Hi Shekala,

How do you mean "at the server level"?
        Is the server completely crashing at 2am meaning it needs to be rebooted to become operational again?

Let me know,

regards,

gibjon.

Comment

we dont back up the server.
          and yes, the server freeze requires a reboot. it is completely nonresponsive to any kind of input so must be turned off and then back on.

Comment

why don't you call HP support? they have the diagnostics to troubleshoot hardware properly, or at least eliminate the possibility of this being a hardware error
            ________
            Yz250
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 17:56.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

How long has it been happening for? Have you checked the logs?
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What an information laden thread this is.
                All we know is that it is an HP machine (not even sure if it is a real server or a desktop configured as one), no confirmation that the operating system is SBS 200x, (or if is even patched up to date) nothing mentioned about what error is being displayed in the Event Viewer.

David, post back with some REAL information and there is a better than average chance you will be provided with a possible solution or some actions to try.

My car won't start sometimes. What could the problem be? My mechanic is stumped. Oh yes, my car is a van. See what I am getting at?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

I'm going out on a limb here but it could be that your server has a power management issue. It might not be coming out of standby and the reason this is happening is that its set to standby (or even hibernate) after a certain amount of idle time.

IMHO, general purpose servers should never be configured to "save energy"- its not worth the risk of unreliability when the server attempts to resume its duties after coming out of standby.

Let me know after you check out the settings,

gibjon.

Comment

Originally posted by gibjon View Post
                    Hi,

I'm going out on a limb here but it could be that your server has a power management issue. It might not be coming out of standby and the reason this is happening is that its set to standby (or even hibernate) after a certain amount of idle time.
                    the default configuration for a server is to never save power. they dont have hibernation or standby after install... you have to specifically do that. why you would have that setup, i have no clue...

biggles, about the van. i think its the starter. doesnt matter what model or brand, just go ahead and get a new one. if that doesnt fix it, post back.

whats the next most expensive part on your van? well, whatever the case, if replacing the starter doesnt work, then buy the next most expensive part and replace it...

let us know what happens.

and check the damn event logs to see what happened on the "server" around midnight. dont just look for errors or warnings... look at the app log and see what kicked off round midnight, and the system etc. Cross reference the entries and see what the last time things were recorded at and see if you notice anything "suspicious"... like any unfinished jobs, maintenance reports, scheduled defrags... anything. maybe even give us the OS version if you can find it, and any other programs you have installed. SQL, Exchange, A/V... anything is better than nothing.
                    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Hi,

I'm with James on this one.

If the van analogy holds true, I'd recommend using the trial version of Acronis Trueimage Echo Server from www.acronis.com. You can do a full image backup of the server with a view to transferring the windows server install onto different hardware . There will be driver issues but there are ways to sort this- let me know if you want help with this.

regards,

gibjon

Comment

Still with the van,
                        It could well be a RAID 5 issue, so how about pulling one of the drives, reconnecting it and letting the array rebuild using the on-board controller.

Oh wait... maybe you don't have RAID 5
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think you guys are responding to each other's posts to the OP and not the actual OP now

shekala, please post as much info about your server as possible.

What model is it?
                          What OS does it have?
                          Is it up to date?
                          What do the logs say around the time it crashes?

Comment

Working...
                          X