X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up a modem-router on SBS2K + Exchange 2000

First post!
    Total noob at SBS2K but here we go.
    I want to replace a SpeedTouch Home with a modem/router (Billion Bipac741GE) on this domain with SBS2K. The server is set up with two NICs, one 10/100 to the modem and a 10/100/1000 to the switch. The server also acts as DHCP.
    What I would like to do is have the Bipac handle the routing and disable the DHCP on the server.
    The server would connect to the switch through the Gb card.
    The router would link directly to the switch and all devices would refer to it as a gateway/dns server. Is it the way to do it or am I missing some steps?
    Would that affect Exchange's ability to handle the mail thingy?
    If the above is not advisable, how should I go about it?
    Also if it was feasible, a step-by-step guidance would be highly appreciated.

E2K does not mind where it sends it's mail from, as long as it has a good DNS connection and as long as it has Internet access (even if not, it can use a smart host, but that's a totally different topic).

As for the DHCP - what does that have to do with the question?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for replying Daniel,
      About the DHCP? I don't know. The modem router can act as a DHCP and there is one already configured on the server. Thought can't have two, then which is best to use?

Comment

W2K DHCP is better

It's best to use the SBS DHCP as it's integrated with some features inside W2K, such as authorization and DNS integration.

Again I ask - in what does the DHCP part relate to the routing question? Or were you just making a remark?
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for all the help,
          I've managed to get the system up and running now and all is OK now.
          I did disable the DHCP on the router and let the server act as such. There also were some mis-match in IP settings that I tidied up, had to disable the ISA firewall after a server reboot, and I was able to ping by IP and name. So all fixed now.
          Thank you very much for the help again.

Comment

Working...
          X