Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new 5 CALS package on Svr 2003

Hi all,

Normally, I can muck around long enough to figure out MS problems, but having never needing to install CALS, I'm now stuck.

I have a new server running an OEM copy of 2003 SP 2. It's an SBS version and came with the standard 5 CALS. I purchased, at a local store, a retail package entitled "Windows Server 2003 License Pack - Includes 5 Client Access Licenses"

Now, here's the problem: When I bring up the add licenses wizard it demands the usual 25 character alpha-numeric string. OK, easy enough, but I can't find one in or on the package. The only thing in the unopened package is a watermarked sheet with the security strip in it. It does NOT have any numbers on it. The package, itself, has a little Microsoft sticker on the back with a security strip, 3 barcodes, a couple of numbers, a description, and amazingly enough a "Made in USA" indication. None of the numbers on this sticker are 25 digit, but I would assume the the license wouldn't be on the outside of the box anyway.

I have spent the last three days on the phone with Microsoft to no avail. I even went back to the retail store, who just gave me a different MS phone number to try.

Did I receive a defective package? Do I need some magical incantation to make the number appear on the certificate? What magic words do I need to tell the Microsoft licensing folks, in order to "activate" these CALS and get a 25 digit code? Can a normal CALS package be used to upgrade SBS?

I'm basically very lost at this point, and just want to go back to my Solaris machines. Unfortunately, I have to make this work first.

Re: Installing new 5 CALS package on Svr 2003

Even if you did find the 25-digit code (look in the envelope it is probably on another sheet there!) it wouldn't be much use to you. You see, for SBS you need SBS CALS and not Windows Server CALS.
    SBS CALS cover Server, Exchange and SQL also and, since version R2, for ANY server in the SBS domain!

Good one!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks Steven,

To me, this is just typical of MS BS. The sheet that came with the retail package says it can do virtually every version, just, of course, not the one I have.

Thanks again.

Comment

Can do virtually every version, or every version virtually

But sorry to say, I don't think MS were guilty this time. You, or whoever advised you, made the mistake, as SBS is not generally known as a "version" of Windows Server 2003. It is a separate product "based on Windows Server 2003"
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X