Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup and restore sbs exchange to virtual

Hi,
    I have SBS 2003 that running on Virtual server.
    This is a converted to virtual copy of an existing server. I keep it in a remote location and want to use it as a fully functional backup SBS.

Questions:

1. On original SBS, Exchsrv is on partition D:
    The same on Virtual server. Can I just make backup of Exchsrv and replace Exchsrv
    on Virtual with this copy?
    Or NTBackup of Exhchange and restore to Virtual server will be more appropriate?

Or my both scenarios are poor?

Thanks,
    Michael.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: backup and restore sbs exchange to virtual

IMHO NTBackup is more appropriate - you are sure you have got everything. You have an intermediate stage as an extra safety device.
    You clean up the logs on the way and ensure you have a tried Disaster Recovery Method.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

There are rare changes on original SBS.

If I will make a system state backup and restore it on Virtual would it work?

And again, could it screw up my Virtual SBS?

I cannot experiment with this (the virtual SBS is activated with Microsoft and I dont want to reinstall it again in case that something will go wrong).

Thanks.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

So save your original VHD that is activated and make a copy (backup) of it. That way if something does go wrong you have the original to restore.
        That's the virtue of virtual!
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X