Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xmerge on SBS

Hi,
    in all articles that I found about xmerge it saying OS 2000 of 2003.
    I have to archive couple of mailboxes that sit on SBS 2 years.

I would like it know if there are any chances to screwed up something by using a utility that is not designed for SBS (at least not mentioned in any doc).

Who used it for this particular task?
    Also, I would like to know if exmerge.exe should be extracted in \bin (with ini file).
    Or just exmerge.exe from exmerge.exe should be copied.

Thanks,
    Michael.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: xmerge on SBS

Any article about ExMerge on Exchange 2003 is relevant for SBS. It doesn't "screw up" anything - it merely exports the contents of the mailboxes.

What it doesn't export (and therefore "screws up") are:
    Public Folders
    Views
    Permissions
    Delegates
    Form Libraries
    Address Books
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

toda raba

Thanks.
      Michael.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

You are welcome
        But please stick to English - Daniel puts it in the rules and is fairly strict about them!
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Originally posted by mla View Post
          Also, I would like to know if exmerge.exe should be extracted in \bin (with ini file).
          Or just exmerge.exe from exmerge.exe should be copied.

Thanks,
          Michael.
          Exmerge is about 4 files that must be extracted into the \bin directory.

I've never had any problems with it -- it seems totally non-destructive

As stated, it wont work with PFs -- copy them to a mailbox and then export with Exmerge?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello,
            I have a problem using exmerge.
            First I had a problem with send as, receive as permission ( deny was checked and graed out) for ent admins domain admins and myself.
            I couldn't remove deny from mailbox store so I did it on First organisation.
            Now it's fine on Mailbox Store. Deny is unchecked. Allow is checked for all (beside special permissions).
            I still have the error. I logged off and logged in again. And double checked Permissions on Mailbox Store. What I should to check? Thx.

Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Program, v6.5.7529.0
            Start Loggingecember 23, 2007 19:44:54
            [19:44:54] Logging Level: None
            [19:44:54] Reading settings from file 'C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\EXMERGE.INI'.
            [19:44:54] Accessing Domain Controller 'JUNO'
            [19:44:54] 'JUNO' is running Exchange Server 2000 or later
            [19:44:54] Source server read from settings file is 'JUNO'.
            [19:44:54] Reading list of subjects for messages to be selected from file ''
            [19:44:54] Reading list of attachment names for messages to be selected from file ''
            [19:44:54] List of folders to be ignored has been read. 0 folders in the list.
            [19:44:54] Current machine locale ID is 0x409
            [19:44:54] Operating System Version 5.2 (Build 3790)
            [19:45:05] Accessing Domain Controller 'JUNO'
            [19:45:05] 'JUNO' is running Exchange Server 2000 or later
            [19:45:06] Mailbox '/o=First Organization/ou=first administrative group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=JUNO/cn=Microsoft System Attendant' will be ignored as its DN contains strings in the ignore list
            [19:45:06] Mailbox '/o=First Organization/ou=first administrative group/cn=Configuration/cn=Connections/cn=SMTP (JUNO)/cn={2B092F0B-00A1-4210-824A-A704547D758C}' will be ignored as its DN contains strings in the ignore list
            [19:45:06] Mailbox '/o=First Organization/ou=first administrative group/cn=Recipients/cn=SystemMailbox{2B092F0B-00A1-4210-824A-A704547D758C}' will be ignored as its DN contains strings in the ignore list
            [19:45:06] Found 29 mailbox(es) homed on database 'FIRST STORAGE GROUP/MAILBOX STORE (JUNO)'.
            [19:45:06] Ignored 3 mailbox(es) homed on database 'FIRST STORAGE GROUP/MAILBOX STORE (JUNO)'.
            [19:45:06] Found 29 mailbox(es) homed on the specified databases.
            [19:45:06] Ignored 3 mailbox(es) homed on the specified databases.
            [19:45:22] Using attribute 'PR_MESSAGE_DELIVERY_TIME' for date operations.
            [19:45:22] Merging data into target store. The program will copy only those messages that do not exist in the target store.
            [19:45:22] Associated folder data will NOT be copied to the target store.
            [19:45:22] Using 'English (US)' (0x409) as the default locale (Code page 1252)
            [19:45:22] All mailboxes will be processed, regardless of locale
            [19:45:22] Using default locale for all mailboxes
            [19:45:22] Initializing worker thread (Thread0)
            [19:45:22] Copying data from mailbox 'Douglas Leahey' ('D.LEAHEY') on Server 'JUNO' to file 'D:\ARCHIVED MAIL BOXES (EXMERGE)\D.LEAHEY.PST'.
            [19:45:22] Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)
            [19:45:22] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox 'Douglas Leahey' ('D.LEAHEY').
            [19:45:22] Number of items copied from the source store for all mailboxes processed: 0
            [19:45:22] Total number of folders processed in the source store: 0
            [19:45:22] 0 mailboxes successfully processed. 1 mailboxes were not successfully processed. 0 non-fatal errors encountered.
            [19:45:22] Process completion time: 00:00:00

Comment

You problably have incorrect permissions.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Looks like...

As I mentioned Permissions on Mailbox Store are OK
                Send as, receive as are Allowed and Deny is unchecked.
                Where else I have to check permissions?

Comment

Do you use the administrator account or an account which is member of the domain admins group?
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Sugest you read this article and understand it fully before you try to run ExMerge on SBS or any other Exchange organisation:

http://www.petri.com/grant_full_mail..._2000_2003.htm
                    TIA

sigpic

Comment

Re: exmerge on SBS

Hope my step by step tips on using exmerge (which I do frequently on SBS boxes) helps. See this thread. Follow that through and it will work.
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.
                      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

If you are doing ExMerge frequently on SBS boxes, then you need to talk to me and learn about forklifting Exchange databases and Swing Migrations
                        TIA

sigpic

Comment

Re: exmerge on SBS

Thanks for your thoughts and useful comments.

One good reason for using exmerge on SBS boxes is that when a disaster occurs, such as the whole server goes bang, the PST files can be loaded locally on the client PCs for them to view the most recently backed-up state of their data. We usualy copy the PST files that Exmerge produces to externa REV drives that can easily be plugged into an XP client PC. This can all be done by non-qualified staff in a matter of moments, and so is a good way to provide data availability after a disaster, and one that does not require a technician to cal out onsite. I work in an environment where businesses do not have onsite techies and so this system is a good approach.

For bigger customers, who have (A) more money and (B) more technical people onsite, I would certainly be very interested in other ways of bacing up Exchange, as all we do at the moment is to use Veritas (or similar). I've never touched "Swing" before, so I may well look it up and see what that's all about.
                          Best wishes,
                          PaulH.

Comment

Paul

I know of several colleagues who use Exmerge for backup. But since it needs a lot of messing around to back up Hebrew fonts for me, and with OL2003/7 providing OST's as a backup, I don't find that much use for it - I even used to make key clients use an OST file way back since Outlook 97!
                            Look up Swing
                            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Steven, for the info about Swing.

I hope Michael doesn't feel I have hijacked his post as I think it may be useful for him to look into Swing too.
                              Best wishes,
                              PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                              X