Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• customise default settings

Hi,

I was wondering if i could get some help here.

When a new user login to a computer that is connected to the server, the computer'd start loading all the default settings from the server onto windows. But once you login to the computer, all the settings you made will be remembered by the computer in the user local profile.

My question is whether it's possible to customise all these default settings to what we want including the settings for printers settings, network drive mapping.

wonder if anyone would help guide as to how i should go about this? so that it will always load the same settings for the first user login to a PC.

Thank you in advance

Re: customise default settings

You need to create a custom Default User profile. Search for this on Microsoft's web site and it will lead you to the details on how to do this.

Comment

Thank you Joeqwerty for your reply.

I believe that the default user settings will always be downloaded from the server onto the local computer, is it right? please correct me if i'm wrong. and i think it will only load from the local settings if it can find them on the local computer.

Should this not be done on the server side? since the user settings be loaded from the server to the client PC.

Is it possible in SBS 2003 for us to create a profile/default user settings and keep it somewhere on the server, then write a script that would load this customise user settings from the server to the local PC? or there is a better way to do this.

Thank you in advance

Comment

Hi,

Why does it load profile from the server? Because by-default first time profile is copied form the default-user profile on the same local box. It's hidden by-default.

Are you using some settings to copy it from server?

As far as network drive mapping and printer configurations are concerned you can use profile tab in the user's property there we have the option to map drive and print settings can be done by using a logon script.

Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

To pull profile from the server you can do the following...
          Log onto computer with your user's account, make all necessary customizations that you need - create shortcuts for applications, set desktop background etc.
          Then go to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Click Settings under User Profiles>highlight profile that you are logged in with>click Copy To>point to network share on the server>Log onto your DC go into the user that you want this profile applied to account Properties>Profile Tab and under Profile Path point to the network share where you have this profile stored.
          Now every time this user logs on it will use this profile instead of the local one.
          This called - Mandatory Profile.
          Note: if they make any changes to their profile, the next time they log off/on all the changes are overwritten.
          Regards,
          John

Comment

Once you create your default profile on one machine you can copy it to all machines or copy it to the Netlogon share on your DC. That way all new profiles will get this one.

Comment

There is also a nice way to control settings that is almost UTFW!
              In the Server Manager/Client Computers, rt-click on a computer and you can choose View Computer Settings - where quite a few settings can be configured.

HTH
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X