Insufficient System Resources

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insufficient System Resources

A few users have been reporting the following error when accessing network drives.

Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service

the error comes in the form of a pop up and you cannot access any of the network drives on that particular server until you reboot the workstation. I can see no errors that seem to be related in the event logs of either the server or the client. The environment is

SBS 2003 R2 Domain with Windows 2003 Standard SP2 File Server, Windows XP SP2 Client on Cisco Gigabit LAN. both Servers are Dual Xeon 2.8ghz with 4GB of RAM and the File Server has over 4GB of Free storage. The workstation has 60gb of free disk space 2.8 GHZ P4, 1gb RAM.

I suspect that it has to do with the SP2 on the Windows 2003 Server... anyone have any ideas?

Re: Insufficient System Resources

Insufficient system resources and a reboot fixing the problem temporarily seem to indicate an application is leaking memory. Check for what you have loaded on the workstation and what is left to "leak" as time goes by.
    See also the other related thread on this forum.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Check what SQL server is using (assuming you have it installed). This is killing me on my SBS box.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Biggles77For the SQL resources problem, for Susan Bradley blog monitoring memory HTH
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Thanks Steven. Will look when time permits. Not a high priority as there are only 2 of us on the box at the moment and what is a reboot very 3 or 4 day between friends.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Finally pulled finger and looked at my memory leak problem.

By uninstalling SharePoint 2, the problem was solved. It seemed to tie in with the Moitoring much like the other 2 articles in Susan's Blogg but the caveat with SharePoint was to contact MS for help with the SharePoint fix. Now i don't lose a GB per week. So I just have to install SharePoint 3 and hope the same thing doesn't happen.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Glad you dealt with that one quickly!!
              BTW you can limit how much memory each instance of SQL uses so as not to run afoul of RAM cram. Also Sharepoint 3 is not fully integrated into SBS - see Chad Gross's blogs or wait for Cougar (SBS2008 )
              Last edited by biggles77; 6th April 2008, 12:44. Reason: Fixed the 2008) 8) smilie.
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                Glad you dealt with that one quickly!!
                Couldn't see any reason to let it slide. I think I might wait for SBS 2008 to come out. Fortunately I had the forsight to buy a 64 bit server. Might need to up the RAM from 4GB though.

Thanks for the tip on Chads blog.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X