SBS2003 Client Computers cannot connect to the internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 Client Computers cannot connect to the internet

I found another post similiar to this topic, but was unable to post on it as the topic was closed.

I have a SBS2003 server with dual NIC's. One NIC is setup with a static IP and communicates with the DSL modem from the ISP. The DSL modem's DHCP server is turned off and SBS2003 serves as the DHCP server.

I have an address scope for 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.254 setup with exclusions for 1 thru 99.
    I ran the ICW to try and resolve this problem, but with no luck.
    When I run ipconfig /all on the client machines, all the appropriate information is filled in except the Default Gateway. The server's LAN IP is 192.168.1.10 and shows as the DNS server, but not the default gateway. Could that be causing the clients to be unable to connect to the internet?

The client machines cannot ping any address outside the network. I have another server on the network (DataServer 2003) that is able to connect. I can use Remote Workplace to get the clients machines, but once there cannot get to anything external to the network.

Any ideas you have would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Re: SBS2003 Client Computers cannot connect to the internet

I don't know about your problem but round here we don't post on other threads even if our problem is exactly the same. You did the right thing by starting a new thread... I would advise you to check out the rules because they are rigorously enforced.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Is this a premium server with ISA 2004 installed? Do the DHCP options define the default gateway?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

It is Premium server with ISA installed. I have not configured the ISA portion as of yet.

How would I go about setting up the default gateway on the DHCP server? I looked for that as part of the scope options, but could not find a specific setting for it.

Comment

It is called "Router" and is option 003.
          When you install ISA 2004 it runs the CEICW for you so how have you not configured the ISA (firewall) portion yet?
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

I was incorrect. ISA is not installed. I thought it came installed by default, but could not find it installed.

Would it be to much of an imposition to discuss restoring the Exchange store? In particular restoring from one domain to another.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander416 View Post
              Would it be to much of an imposition to discuss restoring the Exchange store? In particular restoring from one domain to another.
              Are you sure you are running SBS?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes, it is 100% Windows SBS 2003 Premium edition.

I was attempting to migrate from one SBS server to another. The original was domain TOM (for example purposes) and the new one I created was TOMMY. I found steps on using windows backup to backup the exchange datestore. I thought I was using the same domain name (obviously I wasn't in the same location or I would have checked), but didn't. So the restore will not work unless I change the Organization name in Exchange. I still have access to the old SBS server, and need to migrate the information (mainly emails) from there to the new SBS server. NOTE: The servers do have the same name (unfortunately).

Comment

OMG!

Run, don't walk, to the Swing Migration site. Especially if you still have the old server available. Yes, it means reinstall your server - but will be well worth it. I can assure you of that!
                  TIA

sigpic

Comment

That is an excellent site. I only wish I'd known about it a few days sooner .

Since this is SBS with only about 6 accounts and I did have the old server available, I was able to load an Outlook client and pull down the PST's. I removed the mailbox store I restored from the backup of the original SBS server to start fresh. Then from a client on the new server I restored the PST's. This retrieves all the e-mail but without the need to rebuild the server. I was able to accomplish this using flash drives... with some assistance by a set of hands on site.

The client computers still seem to have some issues connecting to the server. And might I add - Linksys print servers are a royal pain.

If someone is reading this several months down the road, my situation was unique in that it was only email and I had a limited number of clients that needed their old email. If you are going to migrate SBS servers, the site from the post below looks like the way to go.

Any thoughts on why the workstations have trouble recognizing the domain? Some workstations log in and operate correctly. Others will not allow the user to log into the domain as it says the domain is unavailable. Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

You know, I was once called to help somone who only had one and a half users (business owner and part time secretary) but 4 different machines. It was a real PITA to get all four machines synched to the new domain and I wish it had been a swing migration.
                      You retain desktop and user profiles, THE best way is swing migrations as desktops are certainly MY biggest pain point.
                      New domain is a new user ID, computer ID and therfore new profiles - even if thay are called the same. Even printer definitions as you have found out.
                      Also importing PST's is never the same as forklifting Exchange databases for the following reasons:
                      You break single instance storage.
                      You lose public folders - unless you are careful
                      You lose permissions on other mailboxes
                      You lose views created on folders
                      You lose offline address books as were - they are recreated
                      You lose any forms/applications you may have based on Outlook Exchange.
                      You lose links and some of the rules you have made
                      Etc, etc, etc.....
                      TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X