Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked out of SBS

I have this serious issue.
    I can not access the SBS2003 from a WIN2003 DC as an admin.
    I can remote into the WIN2003 as a Power User, access shares etc.
    However when I try to access as the Domain Admin it is rejected. The password used at setup is no longer valid for some reason or other. I know that I can possably change or rest using password tools but i do not want to risk a reboot.
    Is their a way to access the Domain admin account through the Win2003 and change the password?
    Any help on this would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by bundy; 18th November 2007, 12:01. Reason: spelling error

Re: Locked out of SBS

huh?
    You say the Win2003 is a DC. So go in to AD Users and Computers and change the password. Then RDC/RDP into the SBS and issue a restart command. When it comes back up, log on to the SBS console or do whatever you need.
    Unless there is something you are not telling us!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply.
      I manage the domain remotely. When I built the domain I used 1 password for the SBS and the same password for the other 3 DCs. For me to physically attend i need to travel 120km round trip. The staff are PC illiterate. It appears that someone managed to alter the Domain Admin password and my personal user account. A few staff members have left and I do not wish to point a finger at anyone in particular. I do not want to restart the SBS because I do not know if any other changes have been made. Restarting could cause other issues which you should be aware of. Like I said, I can log on to the Win2003 file server as a Power User. Is their a way to access the Domain Admin and change the password without having to go into safe mode and using some of the tools that boot from a CD/Floppy. I am aware of some of the Win2003 tools that come from MS, but they need Admin rights.
      Thanks again

Comment

Please don't view this as a tart response, but considering the nature of the problem, wouldn't it be better just to drive their (@60kph = 1 hour) and fix the problem onsite so if something does come up you are there to fix it. Great bit of PR for your client as well that you would drive "all this way" to do the job properley.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi
          Guess that would have to be the most sensible thing to do--which I ended up doing later today. I also wrote a script so that if it ever happens again I should be able to log on with power user rights and execute the script to be able to change the Dom Admin Pwd. Took a while to write it so I hope it will work.
          Thanks

Comment

Why not create your own Administrator account (hidden if necessary) on the SBS machine.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Biggles77
              I did that originally. Unfortunately the CEO of the company insisted on knowing what the passwords were and details on the 'hidden admin account'. He would have told others. Best thing to do is a script and have that hidden on remote server. That way if it happens again all I have to do is use the script.
              Thanks for the advce though.

Comment

Give him the name / password in a sealed envelope marked "emergency use only"
                That way he will feel empowered but hopefully not open it!
                You can always check and update regularly
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X