Pop3 Service - sbs 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop3 Service - sbs 2003

We have a client with SBS 2003. From time to time the client is performing restart to the server.
    The thing is that pop3 service will not automaticly started unless it will be done manually. How can we cause the service to start automaticly?
    I have tried to read and dig all over the net but nothing yet.
    If you ladies and gents can light me up with an extra idea I will be more then happy.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Adi

Re: Pop3 Service - sbs 2003

Run Services.msc
    Look for the POP3 service and set it to start automatically.
    (Beware there are two services: one for allowing POP3 IN to the server; the other to allow the server to connect OUT to external POP3 accounts and collect mail for you - choose the one you want.)
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Can you use net start ... in a login script or as a cmd file in the Startup group of the All Users profile?

I had one pesky service (a database one, nothing to do with pop3) that refused to start even when I put a net start command in startup. It would only start if the computer had about 5 seconds to settle down after login. So, to keep things simple, and I know there are clever guys out there who can write nice delays in VBScript files, but all I did was issue a vssadmin list writers command before my net start ... command, and the vssadmin command took just long enough to run so that the net start command didn't start too soon. Quick and dirty, sure, but hey it worked very well.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Hi Steven: I was assuming his service does not start automatically. Hopefully one of our suggestions will help !
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.

Comment

And Paul, you don't need to get clever with scripts. The Windows Resource Kit has a "sleep" command that you can put in any batch/cmd file as:

sleep 5

and it will give you a 5 second delay.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Ah well, many thanks for that - it's great to know that I don't know about things which I thought I knew weren't there. Cheers Steven.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

Working...
            X