Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

    Hello all,

    I tried searching and found some helpful items but couldn't find an exact post on what I'm attempting to accomplish here. All of my previous experience is with Enterprise level domains so SBS is a new thing for me

    Office A has a new server with SBS r2, Office B will also have it's own new server with SBS r2. My goal was to have them both be in the same domain (one holding the FSMO roles and being the "primary" one being the backup/redundant DC).

    From what I've been reading, it sounds like you can't have two SBS's on the same domain. I don't get why M$ would have such a seemingly odd limitation, but whatever. Unfortunately, I already ordered all of the equipment so I might SOL here.

    Can I create a sub-domain or forrest with my other SBS? If I were to have domain A and domain B, can you do a two way trust? I'd like to make it as easy as possible for employees at each site to access resources on either network.

    Any suggestions would be very helpful.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

    Only one server in a domain can have SBS 2003 R2. It can not have any child domain. Even it can not have any trust relationship with other domains. Additionally all the FSMO can be hosted on SBS 2003 R2 server only.

    Supported Link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...faq/setup.mspx

    Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

      Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
      Only one server in a domain can have SBS 2003 R2. It can not have any child domain. Even it can not have any trust relationship with other domains. Additionally all the FSMO can be hosted on SBS 2003 R2 server only.

      Supported Link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...faq/setup.mspx

      Regards,
      Crap, that's what I was afraid of. So, what are my options for connecting my two SBS R2 servers?

      The only reason I can tell for M$ doing that it to screw you out of more money as it forces you to buy a server 2k3 professional license instead of an SBS one. I suppose that's typical though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

        No way out other than going for the new licenses for Windows 2003 Server. As far as these SBS servers are concerned, they can act as member server: one in each domain.

        Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

          Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
          No way out other than going for the new licenses for Windows 2003 Server. As far as these SBS servers are concerned, they can act as member server: one in each domain.

          Regards,
          AFAIK SBS can never be a member server
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

            The only reason I can tell for M$ doing that it to screw you out of more money as it forces you to buy a server 2k3 professional license instead of an SBS one. I suppose that's typical though.
            What utter nonsense. It's about an adequate assessment of your business requirements in the first place and buying appropriate products to meet those requirements. Had you properly assessed your business needs and the capabilities of the products on the table you would have realised immediately that SBS did not meet your requirements as it is designed for a SMALL business which only requires ONE server to meet ALL its tasks.

            If you need another server, but want to retain your SBS domain, you can buy Windows Server 2003 and join it to the SBS domain; but it can't be a domain controller as SBS is the only domain controller in an SBS domain.


            Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

            Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

              Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post

              If you need another server, but want to retain your SBS domain, you can buy Windows Server 2003 and join it to the SBS domain; but it can't be a domain controller as SBS is the only domain controller in an SBS domain.
              I'll be the first to admit I goofed and should've done my homework first. But you're telling me that you think a solid small business solution (under 75 employees) is to have only one DC? That's pretty stupid IMO. So, M$ is saying that if you are under 75 employees, you can't have redundancy?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

                Originally posted by kapilsharma11 View Post
                No way out other than going for the new licenses for Windows 2003 Server. As far as these SBS servers are concerned, they can act as member server: one in each domain.

                Regards,
                Is there an upgrade path from SBS 2003 standard to Server 2003 standard?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

                  Originally posted by htcnuts View Post
                  I'll be the first to admit I goofed and should've done my homework first. But you're telling me that you think a solid small business solution (under 75 employees) is to have only one DC? That's pretty stupid IMO. So, M$ is saying that if you are under 75 employees, you can't have redundancy?
                  You can have additional DCs in an SBS domain, just not 2 SBS servers and the SBS must be the first DC and hold all the FSMO roles

                  http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive...bs-domain.aspx
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

                    Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                    If you need another server, but want to retain your SBS domain, you can buy Windows Server 2003 and join it to the SBS domain; but it can't be a domain controller as SBS is the only domain controller in an SBS domain. What utter nonsense!

                    I moved your own quote - SBS is only the MAIN domain controller, no trusts and holds all the FSMO roles. You were even given the link above. Please stop propogating this popular misconception about SBS.
                    What the OP requires is an SBS at one location and a DC in the same domain at the second - providing he wants to use one domain. And for the cost of the server license(s) only could have an additional Exchange Server.
                    TIA

                    Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

                    We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

                      Originally posted by htcnuts View Post
                      Is there an upgrade path from SBS 2003 standard to Server 2003 standard?
                      It is called the "Transition Pack"
                      TIA

                      Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

                      We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

                        Thanks for relaying the correct information about SBS (unlike what Stonelaughter posted).

                        Also, big thanks for the transition pack! That looks like it will be exactly what I need.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Site to Site with 2 SBS servers

                          Originally posted by teiger View Post

                          I moved your own quote - SBS is only the MAIN domain controller, no trusts and holds all the FSMO roles. You were even given the link above. Please stop propogating this popular misconception about SBS.
                          What the OP requires is an SBS at one location and a DC in the same domain at the second - providing he wants to use one domain. And for the cost of the server license(s) only could have an additional Exchange Server.
                          Thanks again for everyone's help. So just so I'm understanding all of this correctly...

                          server1 with SBS - holds FSMO roles, Exchange,...etc (main DC)
                          server2 - started with SBS, will buy transition pack to upgrade.

                          I'm not sure what happens with the transition pack upgrade. Does it retain DC functionality or will it let me run dcpromo and join my SBS?

                          Also, I'm a little confused on licensing. If I buy the transition pack do my SBS user CAL's move over? Or do I have to buy more licenses?

                          I'm trying to build this from the ground up and make it as scalable as possible.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X