Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shutdown message sent by server

Hi,

wondering if anyone might be able to help me here. Is there any way that i can get SBS 2003 to send out to the client PCs the message like the following

Server is about to shut down. you have x minutes to save your works

Is it something that SBS 2003 can do? honestly, not sure what it's called. hard for me to google something i don't know its name.

Thank you in advance

Re: shutdown message sent by server

Hi

you can do this.

go tp start > run > type in shutdown -i click ok.
    then press browse button to serch the active directory for a computer or server click ok. type in a message in the text box then click ok.

This is what shutdown -i looks like.

Thanks

Andy
    Last edited by andysullman; 1st November 2007, 08:48.

Comment

No, he wants a warning to the clients!

NET SEND will work IF the messenger service is running on the clients
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Messenger service by default is not running - and security gurus say it should stay that way!
        You could always either send them an e-mail or have everyone logged on to IM and create a Sharepoint group that they always have open.
        But since we are talking about small businesses usually in one location, I find getting the secretary to shout:
        "Hey we're closing the server in 5 mins, save your work!" usually works best
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

all right. I agree. I think it'd be easier just by shouting to warn them of the server's shutdown. But i wonder what would happen if we had a bigger network with 60 or above users and they are all on a different floor (just for curiosity sake)

Thank you in advance

Comment

Originally posted by associates View Post
            Thank you for your replies.

all right. I agree. I think it'd be easier just by shouting to warn them of the server's shutdown. But i wonder what would happen if we had a bigger network with 60 or above users and they are all on a different floor (just for curiosity sake)

Thank you in advance
            Telehone someone on the other floor and get THEM to shout
            (Choose someone loud -- quick result or the local gossip -- full result )
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What I used once to sent a popup message to all clients were two scripts.

One of the script is just for the popup message.

The other script copies the first script to each computer, and scheduled a interactive runonce task that will execute the first script locally.

(It is also possible to use psexec to execute the script containing the message, locally, after you copied it to the computers)

You can copy the first script to the clients during startup. It is possible to provide the actual message text (short text) as parameters to the job that will execute the script later on.

Note that the searching for, copy the file to, and then connecting to each computer can make the 2nd script run very slow. You cannot use this method for spontaneous messages.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
              X