Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNS won't create PTR record in Reverse Lookup.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS won't create PTR record in Reverse Lookup.

Hi,

So far it doesn't cause any problem, but it might in the future so...

I have 2 DNS server, the primary domain controller is the primary one and the secondary domain controller is a copy of the PDC to create redundancy. So, everything is fine the forward lookup zone, but the reverse lookup zone is missing some entries. The reverse lookup zone has 3 containers from the 3 subnets used:

192.168.10.*
    192.168.11.*
    192.168.12.*

The PDC is on the 192.168.10.* network, however, the only entry i have in the reverse lookup zone of 192.168.10.* is the server. All the machines that were added to the domain aren't there. Though, they are in the forward lookup zone.

So, i'm just wondering why no PTR are added to the reverse zone if they're sucessfully created in the forward one !

regards,

trep

Re: DNS won't create PTR record in Reverse Lookup.

Is this an SBS machine or did you mean for this post to go into the Windows 2003 Server Forum? (It can be moved)
    11 was a racehorse.
    22 was 12
    1111 race 1 day

************************************************** * ************************************************** ***********
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and click the LIKE option in the bottom right corner **
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****** * *****

Comment

It's an SBS 2003 STD machine. Though, i guess the problem can also occurs on a Windows 2003 machine heh

trep

Comment

Almost certain it won't create the reverse zones for you. create them manually and then click on the records in the forward zones and tick the create reverse lookup record check-box.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X