Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best price to buy?

Hi,

I am serching for a "cheap" SBS 2003 Computer. Do you know the best place to buy one from?? I have been serching, and the lowest price i could find is $840

Thanks in advance

Andy
    Last edited by andysullman; 29th October 2007, 14:19.

Re: Best price to buy?

Well, here (in the UK) the software costs about £350 (about US$ 700) for the first 5 users.
    You want to tell us which country you are in or do we take a guess?

Also, what are you after -- the OS, a Server or both?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by andysullman View Post
      Hi,

I am serching for a "cheap" SBS 2003 Computer. Do you know the best place to buy one from?? I have been serching, and the lowest price i could find is $840

Thanks in advance

Andy
      SBS 2003 don't make computers... you can install the SBS 2003 operating system on any Windows compatible PC which meets the minimum requirements specified on the Microsoft website.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thank you for all your help

I live in the U.S.A what I am looking for is a Server with SBS installed.
        I will check microsoft reqirements

It may be cheaper geting the hardware first.

Thanks

Andy

Comment

DON'T, for heavens sake, go by MS minimum requirements!! You may be able to install SBS on what they state, but boy, will it be painful to run. Imagine running XP on a workstation that is a Pentium 4 1Ghz Celeron with a 20Gb disk and 64Mb RAM. It may run (walk, stagger, etc.), but it will NOT be a pleasant work experience.
          Even an HP ML110 with 80Gb disk can be useful for up to about 5 users running Office, Email and Internet - not much more.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by andysullman View Post
            Thank you for all your help

I live in the U.S.A what I am looking for is a Server with SBS installed.
            I will check microsoft reqirements

It may be cheaper geting the hardware first.

Thanks

Andy
            Dell, Acer, HP and I think IBM all offer a server with an OEM version of SBS. (Gee I wish I could see Steven's face right now).

Is this device for you (as in to practice on) or for a client? OEM licenses are tied to THAT motherboard the software somes with, is NOT transferable and is NOT upgradable. (as in SA and I think I am correct in saying that).

Give us an idea of what you want to do with the setup and more advice could be forthcoming.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Dell, Acer, HP and I think IBM all offer a server with an OEM version of SBS. (Gee I wish I could see Steven's face right now).

Is this device for you (as in to practice on) or for a client? OEM licenses are tied to THAT motherboard the software somes with, is NOT transferable and is NOT upgradable. (as in SA and I think I am correct in saying that).

Give us an idea of what you want to do with the setup and more advice could be forthcoming.
              Yes it is for me to practice on. because when I have compleated my courses at college`i would like to go on to a SBS 2003 course. I have always had an intrest in computers/servers

Thanks for your help

Andy

Comment

For practice, buy Technet Plus Direct -- cheaper and it gives you full (not for commercial use) licenses for almost every Microsoft product including SBS

For hardware to practice on, go the Virtual route, so a beefy processor and lots of RAM
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can download a 180 day trial version to play with. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/bb738394.aspx You will need to sign up etc to get it.

Install it on some crappy desktop since speed isn't of any importance OR if you have a nice grunty machine, think Virtual PC.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

got some news. SBS 2003 + Hardware for $794.00

http://www.hpblowoutsales.com/servlet/Detail?no=79

My dad says it ok to buy it. I will order it when i get back to the U.S

Thanks to everyone for their help

Andy

Comment

See if you can buy the hardware without the SBS installed. Then with the money saved, get some more RAM!! 512MB is NOT enough.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

also, a celeron is not the best of processors. ...

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
                          also, a celeron is not the best of processors. ...
                          Since it is for self learning a Celeron in this case will be fine as it is really only short on L2 cache. RAM is going to be the performance booster on this machine.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X