No announcement yet.

Unable to create accounts or mailboxes in SBS

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to create accounts or mailboxes in SBS

Hi Guys,

Using SBS 2003, has been working fine for some time but today I came to create a new user so that I could create a mailbox and although it let me create the user fine in Active Directory, when I came to go through the Exchange Tasks bit and chose Create a mailbox it just ignored me...
    No mailbox has been created within Exchange for this user although they do now have the exchange atrributes (i.e. the tabs for exchange in AD appear on that account). I've waited and waited just in case exchange was busy doing it in the background but still nothing. No email addresses from the recipient policy have been applied to that user either...I assume because of the lack of a mailbox.
    I deleted that user and tried again using a different name etc for the user account but still had the exact same problem.
    Nothing is logged in the event logs at all and I have restarted the Information Store and System Attendant services but no change...
    Tried creating the user account through the SBS wizard in Server Management but this did the same thing.
    Any suggestions as to where I can even begin to look?

Software for IT Pros that I've written:

My blog:

Re: Unable to create accounts or mailboxes in SBS

RUS (recipient update service) is responsible for the generation of email proxy addresses. if email address is not generated automatically after a couple of minutes for a new mailbox enabled user you should take a look around this service
    I guess that you have a proper recipient policy and the RUS is configured to run Always.
    Regarding to the mailbox, it is not created automatically. You can see the new mailbox in the proper mailbox store after the first email was delivered to this email address or after the first successful Outlook or OWA connection.
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

IIRC if you haven't applied all service packs in SBS SP1 to the server this can happen. Make sure you are up to date with all the service oacks and patches. You are in luck as the BPA has just been released and can tell you what is missing. See the stickys in the forum for details.
      Oh! and UTFW for creating users in future please - not ADUC! After all, we are SBS

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Well i was having this problem myself, I read on several boards and saw that the upgrade would fix the problem. Followed the instructions here. And then it all worked after fixing a catalog file issue.

Well the good news is the email is working properly. But now it appears this upgrade has either turned on the windows firewall silently (Is set to disabled in services) or ISA 2000 is somehow now blocking DHCP, Ping, and a few other port related functions. I've read over this quite a bit, and the only thing i found was that upgradeing from 2000 to 2004 resolved this for some. I have ordered the SP1 with ISA 2004 disk, but i'm still wondering if there is a way to fix this, that i'm just overlooking.

Any insight would be helpful