Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database Size increased

Hi ,

We are using SBS 2000 - exchange 2000 ,Now my Exchange DB size is get increased , now by making a google about this i come to know about this link ..

My Event ID 1025

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=813051

but now the thing is do i need to dismount and remount the store or will it be fine if i restart only inforemation store service ,

and how to do a offline defragmentation ...

Please help ..i am in a big trouble ...

Peter.

Re: Database Size increased

it's quite normal a (exchange) database will grow. If you reuse over the 16GB then let you're users cleanup there mail.

What problems do you have??
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your great help ...i am asking users to clean up their mailboxes ...at the earliest possible ,..After processing the steps described by the Microsoft i got at least able to open a mailbox store , but now i need to make it as low size ..if i do the defragment the data base will it decrease the data base size up to 1 GB ...

again after defragment after some months it will increase once more then what i need to do ..do i need to reinstall exchange 2000 fresh ..and move users mailboxes to new server or is their any other way for this ..please help ...

Peter.

Comment

Doing an offline defrag of the mail store is a temporary solution at best and should not be performed as a regular maintenence task. As your users continue to accumulate email and as more users are added you are going to continue to be confronted with this issue. You should consider migrating to Exchange Server 2003 w/SP2 as the database size limit has been increased to 75GB.

Comment

Or maybe holding off until SBS 2008 is released.

Maybe if we knew more about the setup better options could be provided. eg. Attachments could be saved to a central location or moved to the Public Folders (assuming they aren't being used - again, lack of info).
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your great help ..as at present i will go for the off line defragmentation ...can any one pls guide me the complete steps for this ...it will be a great help ...

i just want to confirm , what the organization will do it their DB size is got increased up to the limit , even after the off line defragmentation ...are they installing exchange 2000 newly ..or exchange 2003 newly ...is there any another solution e.g increase the supported limit up to 50 gb in exchange 2k only after installing patches ...

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peter_lev View Post
              Hi ,

Thanks for your great help ..as at present i will go for the off line defragmentation ...can any one pls guide me the complete steps for this ...it will be a great help ...

i just want to confirm , what the organization will do it their DB size is got increased up to the limit , even after the off line defragmentation ...are they installing exchange 2000 newly ..or exchange 2003 newly ...is there any another solution e.g increase the supported limit up to 50 gb in exchange 2k only after installing patches ...

Peter
              Can you please repost in understandable English?

SBS 2000 has a 16GB database. SBS 2003 has a 16GB database unless you install SP2, then it default to 18GB. This site has instructions on increasing the size to 75GB. I believe SBS 2008 will also have the 75GB limitation.

Failing that, I would suggest Exchange 2007 since Exchange 2003 is now 4 years old.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You can't just add Exchange 2007 - remember it's 64bit only. So the OP would need to upgrade to SBS 2003 R2, add a 64bit Windows Server, then add Ex2K7. Alternatively he would need to add a 64bit Windows Server, then add Ex2K7, then add Windows and Exchange CALS for each user over 5.
                I am afraid we are at that stage - in the year before a new release of the product, when all the technologies area bit mixed up.
                Best advice I can give. Delete, defrag and manage your mailboxes as best as possible at 16Gb for the private store, take out some unnecessary mail as archives or create a "pseudo-private" secondary mailbox for the big users in the public store - remember there is another 16gb there. Then just hang on until SBS 2008 arrives and upgrade. If that is not possible, buy SBS 2003 R2 with SA now - then you know you will have 2008 when it is released.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your great help ...I have one question regarding the off line defragmentation , will it be create a complete new database , ( I mean priv1.edb , priv1.stm ) files will be created newly with some low size then its present size ? and if i am defining a new location for defragmentation it will overwrite my current DB files ...is it so ?

Please help ...

Peter

Comment

Hi ,

I have gone through some of the sites but got confused about the steps for off line defragmentation , can anyone please guide me the complete step by step procedure for off line defragmentation ..

peter.

Comment

Did you already see this:
                      http://www.petri.com/defragment_exch..._databases.htm
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Hi ,

I have gone through this , but want to know that will this steps decrease the database size ? If yes then up to how much percentage it will decrease ?

Please help ...

Peter.

Comment

bloody....

Yes the diskspace of the DB will decrease however it won't cleanup old mail.

Do you know that a database will grow and when records are deleted the database will not schrink???
                          Do you know that new records will fill up the gaps between the old records?
                          Can you imagine that running the link above will remove all those gaps and that's it???

Let you're users archive the messages to a PST file or something to clean up you're database.

Or migrate to SBS 2003 like teiger already advised.
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands

Comment

Running an online defrag will remove content from the mail store but will not release whitespace from the mail store and therefore will not shrink the file size. You need to perform an offline defrag to reclaim the whitespace and shrink the file. There is no way to know what percentage it will be shrunk by without knowing how much whitespace exists in the database. Look for Event 1221 in the Application log to see how much whitespace is in the database.

Comment

Working...
                            X