Unable to install Cert Services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to install Cert Services

I have a Win 2003 SBS server. Someone else did the initial install and did not install Certificate Services at the beginning.

Other applications have been installed since then, including SQL 2005 (upon which a legal office management program runs) and Win2003SP2.

When I go to add Cert Services, it begins normally but then when it gets to copying necessary files it pops up and says it can't copy this file and that file (a whole bunch of them) and asks me to browse for the correct location or insert the CD with Service Pack 2.

Here's the problem - I browse to a location on the hard drive where the requested file IS located and click RETRY but the window pops back up again saying the file cannot be copied. (the location was under C:\WINNT\SERVICEPACKFILES )

When you install SP2, you download an EXE file from SUPPORT.MICROSOFT.COM and it self-unpacks and installs when you run it. It unpacks into a temporary directory. If you download the ISO file and create a Service Pack 2 CD, it contains the very same EXE file that you would have downloaded and run.

I tried catching the needed files under the temporary I386 directory that is created as well. I got the same response.

I thought of trying to install Cert Services by first rolling back from Service Pack 2, but if I do that there are a LOT of services listed that will be affected and may not run if I delete SP2 in order to do this. Some of those services are used by SQL 2005 and the legal office management program I mentioned. If I did that I might hose the entire server and find myself trying to do a restore of the entire server and all the programs - not something I want to do.

Any ideas on how to get Certificate Services to install?

Re: Unable to install Cert Services

Did you try to provide the SBS 2003 setup CD?
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

I thought that you could not install cert services on a DC after it has become a DC. Since this is SBS it becomes a DC as part of the SBS install and configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        I thought that you could not install cert services on a DC after it has become a DC. Since this is SBS it becomes a DC as part of the SBS install and configuration.
        I haven't heard that one and you can certainly install CA on an SBS as I just did it on my own as an experimentation.
        The question is why would you want to?
        UTFW for Internet Connection and one of the items is to create a self-signed certificate. It gets placed in <Drive>:\ClientApps\SBSCert as well as in IIS (and ISA) as needed.
        You can also transfer these certs to Mobile devices.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi guys,

- I did try providing the orignal installation CDs from Dell. It did no good. I assume it's because SP2 is installed

- You can indeed install Cert Services on a DC, but changing back is the problem because the certificate is tied to the domain name or server name (I believe)

- Two things I don't inderstand, what is "UTFW" ?? and why should I NOT want to install Certificate Services if I am planning to use them?

Comment

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12285 explains UTFW

And if the Wizard produces the certificates, why do you need to install CA to produce them? (there are good reasons to provide certs from CA, I am just curious if you do indeed need them)
            TIA

sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

OK I understand the intent of the sentence "UTFW for Internet Connection and one of the items is to create a self-signed certificate. "

First, I used the wizard to install Certificate services, but that generated my initial problem.

Second, IIS is already installed and connected, and it was all installed using the wizard some time ago, but a self-signed certificate was not generated by choice. Adding a certificate to enable SSL is easy to accomplish, and a self-signed certificate would be a marginal substitute, because if you want users to be able to request a certificate or to download and install the root certificate chain by going to http://servername/cert (so they stop getting the annoying message about not trusting the issuing authority) you need to install certificate services, which then adds that "/cert" part to the default web site.

I am trying to do this on a production server on which other things are already installed, so I don't want to screw it up.

If I can't find a solution to this problem, all is not lost. The client is a Law Firm, so they have plenty of money to BUY a certificate, the certificates offered by GoDaddy are only $17.95 per year US, and besides - they're just lawyers. So I will make them spend the money.

I was just hoping to clear up a problem that is an oddball. You know how that kind of error can nag at you in the middle of the night.

Comment

So instead of http://<servername>/certsrv try telling them to go to \\<servername>\clientapps\sbscert. Then they will be able to download them at will - especially for WM devices. If you want to go the Go-Daddy route, you can still add the certs via CEICW and download them from the same server share.
                TIA

sigpic

Comment

Based on your post .. you want to install the services in order to provide your PDA WM users with the certificate. If I can sugest .. I would apply for CA certificate as you will run into more troubles with self signed cert made by default on SBS 2003.

GoDaddy has this option and you can get easy in few minutes fully qualified certificate for your server so your users specially with PDA running on WM5 will be able to get emails right away. Users running PDA w/WM6 have no issue to get emails even you have self signed certificate. The price is very good for cert.. I think aroung $18. You will save yourself some time Self signed cert would not work on WM5 unless you go trough few steps that not always work as to download addcert utility on your PDA, download the cert and run it on PDA ....

Comment

Working...
                  X