Running SBS 2003 on 64bit hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running SBS 2003 on 64bit hardware

Directed primarily at Steven but anyone with the knowledge is invited to answer.

Are there any problems running SBS 2003 R2 on 64bit hardware? I have been forced into an early purchase but would have prefered to wait for Cougar. The idea is to run with SBS 2003 and then Swing when SBS 2008 is RTM. Alternative is to install Windows 2003 R2 SP2 64bit and Exchange 2007 way before I am ready to play with E2K7.

Thought/options?

Thanks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Running SBS 2003 on 64bit hardware

Most XEON's Athlons etc have been 64-bit for the last 2-3 years. So everyone has been running on 64-bit capable CPU's for some time although the SW is only 32-bit. A bit like when we all had 386 machines which were 32-bit capable but we had 16-bit Windows 3.1. Remember?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      Most XEON's Athlons etc have been 64-bit for the last 2-3 years. So everyone has been running on 64-bit capable CPU's for some time although the SW is only 32-bit. A bit like when we all had 386 machines which were 32-bit capable but we had 16-bit Windows 3.1. Remember?
      Very true - but Windows 98SE (Which was 32-bit) wouldn't run on a 386 - you had to have a 486 at the absolute minimum. Will XP x64 run on a 1-2 year old Xeon? Will Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 run on the same?

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

You are getting me confused! 32-bit software will run on 64-bit CPU; 64-bit SW definitely will NOT run on 32-bit CPU. SBS 2003 is 32-bit only; Cougar is 64-bit only.
        If you can install Windows Server any 64-bit version on your HW then you can install SBS2003 now and Cougar later.

HTH
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

You said Xeons from last 1-2 years were 64 bit; but I don't think you can run x64 OSs on them.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks Steven, just had to make sure what I thought was right was right, right?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
              You said Xeons from last 1-2 years were 64 bit; but I don't think you can run x64 OSs on them.
              Course you can or they're not 64-bit!

Right, Biggles77?
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Course you can or they're not 64-bit!

Right, Biggles77?
                Right!

I do believe there were some problems with the early 64bit AMDs and patches were needed for some apps to run.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X