SBS 2003 to 2003 Server Migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 to 2003 Server Migration

I need to migrate an SBS 2003 DC and Exchange Server to 2003 Server Standard.

Its currently 1 server and BES, The new setup will be 1 DC, 1 Exchange and 1 BES, all 2003 Server Standard.

My dilemma is how to split this task up. I already have the servers built so I'm wondering if I create a trust between the SBS domain and the new domain, will I be able to migrate users to the new domain and still have the ability for them to use the exchange server that is onthe SBS domain so that this way I can move the mailboxes later.

I don't have a lot of experience with Trusts so I need some clarification if it would be possible to use an exchange server that is on a trusted domain.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: SBS 2003 to 2003 Server Migration

No, NO trusts, not now, not ever, NEVER in SBS.
    Actually you can do it for migrations for a limited period of 7 days, but not the way you have done it. You should have bought the SBS Transition pack which would have a) split off the SBS limitations, b) reduced your licensing costs.
    ALternatively, you could have used a method from www.sbsmigration.com to SWING the AD to your new setup
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Its not too late to get the transition pack, I was just under the impression that it doesn't actually work.

As far as the swing method goes, ordinarily I would prefer that buy I'm under the impression that SBS only allows 1 DC, let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Sorry, to inform you that you are wrong but certainly not alone. This is one of the most popular MISconceptions about SBS. see blogs.technet.com/sbs.
        You cannot have more than one SBS, one domain or forest and SBS must hold all 5 FSMO role and be a Global Catalog - but you can certainly add as many DCs as necessary.
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

After doing some research I found that out as well, thanks for the reply.

Whta I'm trying to find out now is how to move the FSMO roles and GC to a 2003 standard domain controller.

So far I see that you can seize the FSMO roles using ntdsutil, is this correct, and should I expect any issues making a server GC as well.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

You can certainly use ntdsutil to Seize though it will actually try to peacefully transfer before seizing. You can also use the GUI to avoid spelling mistakes - look for the MS KB article.
            The only gotcha with adding a GC is to allow enought time for the DC's to replicate. 15 mins should be PLENTY in an SBS environment.
            Actually all these items can be found in an MS KB about going in the other direction - adding SBS to an existing AD domain. is your friend!
            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X