VSS or Disk problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSS or Disk problem

I installed SBS 2003 standard R2 on a new Fujitsu Econel 100. It has 4GB RAM and a mirrored pair of 160GB disks, mirrored via the RAID controller (not within Windows). SBS install then R2 applied and all seemed perfect at our workshop. Took the server to the client, and started to do all the onsite deployment stuff like joining the 8 client PCs to the domain, copying their user profiles, copying files over from their old 2000 Pro acting as a "server", all the usual stuff to get a new server up and lively. I also had to install the Advantage Database Server too.

About halfway through the day, the new server seemed to be running slowly. Then I noticed that when trying to install the USRobotics fax modem, Installshield stopped with an error saying "not enough storage". I tried to install the Belkin Bulldog UPS device - that gave me the same error too. Also, the Windows updates that it automatically downloaded into the yellow shield in the tasktray failed to install. All of them.

Then I saw I could not connect to the Disk Management snapin - it gave an "Unspecified error". I saw lots of VSS errors in event log, numbers 8194 and 12302. So I ran vssadmin list writers and no writers were listed.

I have rebooted a few times, and made sure all "Automatic" services are running, which they are, no problems there.

I've done quite a bit of research on those event IDs and vss problems in general, but I'm completely stuck and do not know how to proceed.

Everything is like running in treacle, and I am really worried about the vss errors. I cannot do a SBS backup because it fails (after saying "preparing to backup using shadow copy") with a ffffffff error, which is to do with Shadow Copies. I cannot tick the "Disable shadow copy" box in Advanced setting in NTBackup because it is greyed out.

Does anyone have any pointers on how I should diagnose the main problem?

Thank you.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: VSS or Disk problem

Have you tried reregistering the VSS writers? It's in the Bradley Blog!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thank you. It hangs on the line "regsvr32 /i swprv.dll" - the process is as follows:

net stop vss
      regsvr32 ole32.dll
      regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
      vssvc /Register
      regsvr32 /i swprv.dll << does not get further than this. no error.
      regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
      regsvr32 es.dll
      regsvr32 stdprov.dll
      regsvr32 vssui.dll
      regsvr32 msxml.dll
      regsvr32 msxml3.dll
      regsvr32 msxml4.dll
      net start vss

I saw in that blog he says to check Com+ is healthy: he says to run dcomcnfg and expand out all the folders under My Computer.
      All is OK except under the folder "Running Services" (Bradley says they should all expand out correctly). However, the "Running Services" folder is empty.

Most things I try to do on this server result in a "Not enough storage" error.

As with most things in life, I'm rather pushed for time on this one so I may have to bite the bullet and reinstal SBS. Shouldn't take longer than about a day... whereas trying to diagnose this one may take me a lot longer than that. It's a judgement call.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

...and having spoken to others about these problems, a decision has been made to format the system disk and install SBS from scratch. Thankyou, Steven, for your suggestion.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.

Comment

The culprit was an Iomega USB Rev drive. Installing it caused the problem. The symptoms were clear: unable to run the Disk management snap in, and unable to see any writers in vssadmin list writers which also caused NTBackup to fail.

Since the problem resulted in not being able to install anything at all, (and not being able to uninstall anything), it was tricky to remove all trace of the Iomega Rev drive.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

Paul, was the Rev Drive the 35 or 70GB model? Internal or external (USB/IDE or SATA model)? Curious as to why this may have happened and what model was involved.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It was a 35GB external USB2 model. I am very curious too, since we roll out quite a few of these on SBS2003 Fujitsu Econel100 boxes and they all work fine, except this one! I am investigating further.
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

Working...
              X