Weird RWW Issue.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird RWW Issue.

When I connect RWW I can connect to my desktop and server no issues there. But I did notice something weird. Let me just give you some specifics first. My server connection has the ip of 192.168.1.4 and my network connection on the server has the ip of 192.168.1.5. My desktop has the ip of 192.168.1.2. So here is what is happening when my desktop is off and i go to rww and try to connect to it, i am connected to my sbs server which logically shouldnt happen if my desktop is off i should get some sort of error. So I was thinking we maybe one of the nics on my server were being assigned the ip address that i reserved in dhcp for my desktop. So i go to the command line and do an ipconfig on the server and all ip address appear as they should. My next step is to ping the ip address of my desktop and i dont get a response which should happen since it is shutdown. Here is what gets me when i ping the IP's of my server...the 192.168.1.4 resolves correctly when i ping 192.168.1.5 it resolves to the name of my desktop so this is why it connects me to the server when my desktop is shutdown. Im trying to figure out how this is happening any one have any ideas or experience this same issue?

Re: Weird RWW Issue.

I don't understand your network setup. If you could draw a diagram and post it, it would help.
    For example does your server have 2 NICs? If so, they should be in separate subnets and not 1.4 and 1.5.
    Also RWW will show a list of computers (XP or Vista) that are defined in AD - not whether they are available or not. So as to pinging your desktop/server/whatever it is not relevant as your connection is HTTPS to the server which proxies RDP to your desktop. Are you sure you mean RWW and not VPN or such like!!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I do have two nic cards. One connectes to my router and the other is for local area network access. I have also discovered that this issue is occuring even when my desktop is powered on. To workaround the issue everytime it occurs i have to log onto the server and run a ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns.

Comment

So you can't post a network diagram as I asked. Can you open a command window and run:

ipconfig /all >C:\ipconfig.txt

then post the ipconfig.txt file from the root of C: to here. Sorry, but you are just nor making sense.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I took your suggestion and subnetted my network and the issue seems to be resolved. Thank you

Comment

Working...
          X