Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless SBS 2003

Hi,

Can my SBS2003 be wireless or does it have to have a wired internet cable?

Thanks in advance

Andy
    Last edited by andysullman; 19th September 2007, 17:14. Reason: instant E-mail reply

Re: Wireless SBS 2003

SBS is independent of the network media -- as long as it supports TCP/IP, you can use wired, wireless or carrier pigeon
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Wireless SBS 2003

Ossian is technically correct, but I recommend using a NIC with a fixed IP, a small (wireless - if desired) router that connects to the ISP, and a plan that includes a fixed Internet IP address. In that kind of configuration, you actually only need to open up ports 443 and 4125 on the router. For e-mail you can work with a smarthost, so the router is only opened on port25 to the smarthost. That, plus running the CEICW, leaves SBS in the basic secure, fully functional situation suitable for most small businesses.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
      X