Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple domains on a single workstations

Hi ,

I am in strange situation , i am not sure that is this a possible or not ..actually we are having multiple offices in a multiple country , now our some of the users needs to be travel for a time being to different offices..

Now the thing is users laptop is in xyz.com domain...and when he reaches to the brach office with xyz.com domain ..and when he wants to connect their resources his machine needs to be configure in that domain also ..so how can i configure this laptop to be a member of multuple domains so that when a user comes to his original brach office no needs to make a member of his laptop again to this domain ...

in short we can say ..is it possible to make a single machine to be a member of multiple domain without removing the other profile ...

Kathy

Re: Multiple domains on a single workstations

A single machine can only have membership of one domain. You don't say what both domains are called... is one called xyz.com and the other called branch.xyz.com? If so he only needs to be a member of groups which have access in both domains since they automatically trust each other. However if the domains are branch.com and xyz.com, then you need to configure a Forest Trust so that each forest trusts the other for authentication, and THEN give group memberships to the user so that he has access to resources in both domains.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Sounds to me that Kathy has a much deeper problem with her domain(s). From what she writes, it would seem that each branch office has an isolated domain - and they are all called "xyz.com". So, No, you cannot have your workstation/laptop a member in all of these domains simultaneously. On the other hand if yuo can set up and maintain the same username/password combination in all of the domains, she should be able to take advantage on PTA (Pass Through Authentication) which will give access to whatever she needs.
      BTW what is SBS in this?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Even with the same user name/password combo she will not be able to log in; the xyz.com domain at location "A" may let her in, if the machine is a member of the domain, but the other one won't because the SID of the two domains will be different; which means that only xyz.com "A" will appear in the drop-down list of accessible domains. For a user to log into a domain directly, the machine they're using must be a member of the domain. She MAY be able to access resources in xyz.com "B" using pass-through user-only authentication, but because of the clash of domain names I doubt it; DNS will not work properly to allow authentication to take place...

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

She can logon to the local machine instead of the Domain. Pass-through should work then though I don't know much (anything actually) about how SBS would react to that.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It should be OK; as far as external interfaces to other machines and applications go, SBS 2003 is simply Server 2003; its chief differences are in GUI and limitations on capabilities.

Tom

Comment

My laptop is a member of my (SBS) domain. I frequently need to connect to clients when on site (and off) and have set up a user/password that is the same as on my domain. My laptop can connect to their domain with the priveleges off the client/remote domain user. I have to reconfigure the ISA firewall client and most everything else just works. Some networks are SBS and some are vanilla Server 2003.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your kind support friends ..I can understand that at a time a system can be a member of only one domain ,,,but i was also got surprised when i saw this in one of my clients lap top ..actually he came from one different company to meet our CEO ..and ask me to join my compan's wi fi..so when i checked up his drop down menu ..there about ten domains ( all are different )....althaugh he is a marketing guy..so i cant get much information from him ..he says this is got configured by his IT guys in his organization ...

Kathy .???:
                Last edited by kathy; 10th September 2007, 13:50.

Comment

Originally posted by kathy View Post
                  Hi ,

Thanks for your kind support friends ..I can understand that at a time a system can be a member of only one domain ,,,but i was also got surprised when i saw this in one of my clients lap top ..actually he came from one different company to meet our CEO ..and ask me to join my compan's wi fi..so when i checked up his drop down menu ..there about ten domains ( all are different )....althaugh he is a marketing guy..so i cant get much information from him ..he says this is got configured by his IT guys in his organization ...

Kathy .???:
                  This is because these domains are all members of the same forest, or there are "Trust Relationships" configured between them. He is a member of ONE domain, but all the other domains you see TRUST that domain to authenticate for them.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X