Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 without DHCP

Hello

Can i install SBS 2003 server without DHCP, if routers act as a DHCP servers ?

Can the XP SP2 clients update SBS DNS dynamically if router is DHCP server, or do we have to maintain DNS manually ?

Re: SBS 2003 without DHCP

Yes and No

Much better to use the SBS as your DHCP server as this lets you roll out DNS and WINS servers as well as dynamically updating DNS. Configuration is easy (UTFW) and your router should be easy enough to turn off DHCP

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How about TCP/IP settings>DNS>Register this connection's addresses in DNS, would this update DNS dynamically without Windows DHCP server.

The problem with SBS DHCP is that we have 2 additional sites and i think that with router DHCP, we can decrease bandwith between sites and server ?

Comment

Each site should have its own DHCP server handling its own subnet.
        If neither of the sub-sites is large enough for its own server, there are a number of ways to handle site-to-site traffic. Using RWW to control a PC in the main office is one, a Terminal Server in the main office is another.
        There is a paper on how to connect a branch office in SBS over on www.smallbizserver.net that I can't find the link for just now......
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          Each site should have its own DHCP server handling its own subnet.

Is it possible to enable SBS DHCP in main office and configure router in each site to forward DHCP querys to SBS server ?

Comment

Do you have a site-to-site VPN set up so that they are virtually one segment/subnet?
            It's possible, but I haven't tried it and wouldn't recommend it!
            Imagine if your link is down and you can't get an IP address. Your station is pretty much dead in the water for EVERYTHING!
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              Do you have a site-to-site VPN set up so that they are virtually one segment/subnet?
              It's possible, but I haven't tried it and wouldn't recommend it!
              Imagine if your link is down and you can't get an IP address. Your station is pretty much dead in the water for EVERYTHING!
              Its MPLS provided by our ISP. Site routers connect to main office router which shares the connection to internet.

If link is down, DHCP is not the problem. Clients keep their DHCP addresses for 8 days by default. And if the link is down station is dead anyway, because they cannot connect to internet, shared folders, email, etc...

Comment

Working...
              X