X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build a fail-over connection in SBS 2003

Hello everyone,

I have a scenario with two different Broadband Routers. I have two ADSL Broadband connections from two different providers, both are connected to separate Broadband Routers.
    How can I build a 'fail-over' system in a Small Business 2003 Server with these two Routers in case one of the Routers fails or worse the Provider fails...
    One of the Routers is now used as our 'main' Router and the other one is used as a 'hotspot' in our showroom..

Has anyone have any ideas for this?

With best regards,

Victor

Re: How to build a fail-over connection in SBS 2003

I would be more concerned about making sure I had a good backup incase the SBS hardware failed. In the 6 years I have had ADSL, I have personally never had a modem (or router) fail and I have had 2 modems fail with my various clients (100+) and these were both crappy low end Seimens.

You have provided very little info about your setup. Routers do NOT provided an ADSL connection. That is the job of a MODEM. A Router routes but there can be a router/modem combination. It seems from your terminology "hotspot" you also have a wireless combination in your router as well.

Post back with sufficient information about your setup and maybe someone will be able to assist with your query.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hello,

Ofcouse our backup strategy is beyond every doubt but I was referring to a loss of signal from our main ISP therefore we have a second ISP. To simplify things:
      - One SBS 2003 Server which acts as an DHCP/DNS server to the clients
      - One ADSL Modem/Router which acts as the primary Internet Gateway
      - One ADSL Modem/Router which acts (now) as a Hotspot Internet Gateway
      - Two different ISP's each for every Modem/Router

How do we configure our SBS Server to use the second Modem/Router as a redundant Internet Gateway in case the primary Internet Gateway loses signal due to a ISP error?

Our Server's IP address is 192.168.1.100/255.255.255.0
      Gateway is 192.168.1.1 (this is the primary Modem/Router)
      DNS is 192.168.1.100 (our server has DNS forwarders configured)

I hope this clarifies my question..

With best regards,

Victor

Comment

The only claification I want now is why did you post the EXACT same question in two different forums? Rule 2 states (to paraphrase) double post = ban. Victor you have 43 posts to your credit, you know better than to do that. Enjoy your 2 week break.

The other thread shall be left open for information to be added.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X