Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems Adding Windows 2003 for Small Business as a DC to a Windows 2K Child Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Adding Windows 2003 for Small Business as a DC to a Windows 2K Child Domain

Hi, I am new at this and trying to add a Windows 2003 Small Business Server as a Domain Controller on a Windows 2000 Child Domain. I ran the adprep.exe applications (forestprep, domainprep, gpprep) already and these were succesful. When I try to add the server as a DC, I get the following error:

Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server Limit
    The Operation failed with the following error: This option is not available in Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server

Does anyone know what option this error refers to?

Thanks in advance.

Jahnel

Re: Problems Adding Windows 2003 for Small Business as a DC to a Windows 2K Child Dom

SBS can only be the first DC for a single domain -- cant be part of any wider AD structure

MS take the view that if you are running child domains, you can d**n well pay for a full version of server!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Problems Adding Windows 2003 for Small Business as a DC to a Windows 2K Child Dom

No support for trusts or child domains in SBS. Single forest single domain and SBS must be made to be the head of it.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks a lot for you insight. We bought 4 new servers and SBS came with them, so we will have to try to work it out with DELL now.

Jahnel

Comment

If you can do this. Trust me this works, Format your SBS 2003 server and just installed windows 2003 and stop there, no exchnage not noting. Member the server to the 2K machine and transfer the FASMO roles to the SBS 2003 server and retire the 2K Server and installed want you need to get to SBS 2003

Comment

Trust me, it DOESNT work. You cannot do that in a child domain - and even if you could, it would probably be in contradiction to the EULA
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X