Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 Exchange Database Problems

Hi,

I recently Migrated a small SBS 2003 Network over to new hardware. Due to there only being a few users I did not bother with a Swing Migration, instead I took the clean approach and set up the new system all nice and shiney.

Unfortunately something bad happened, (something I will learn from) the backup of the data was not burnt to DVD, instead I just wrote it to a brand new USB external disk thinking all would be ok.

When coming to import the data I went to look on the disk but there were no partitions.. after much pratting about with some Linux tools I gave up and reverted back to the last backup. Alas the backup that was done had some data on it but to my shock Exchange was not backed up!! DOH.

For legal reasons I could not login to the old server so remotely connected to the services, stopped the information store then took a flat file copy of the entire Exchsvr folder inculding the MDB folder and its contents. I copied this back to the new server and mounted it.. I got no error. All seemed ok I was expecting to see some disconnected mailboxes after running the Cleanup Wizard but there was nothing only the old System Attendant, SMTP and SystemMailbox..

I was baffled to why, after much research I ended up reverting back to some old PST backups so at least the company could use the email system.

Currently everything is all ok, but the CEO of the company wants some of his emails back that were not within the PST files. I still have a complete backup of the Exchsvr folder from the odl server which includes the priv1.edb and all other parts but am unable to recover the items. I have tried a 3rd Party tool called OnTrack but this did not show any mailboxes either ! I am baffled to why there appears to be nothing in there as the size of the EDB is around 250Mb.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would be eternally gratefull!

The only thing I can think of at present is that the old server was Exchange SP1 and the new one is Exchange SP2. Would this case the effect?

Re: SBS 2003 Exchange Database Problems

Is the old database still available on the old server?
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Not on the old server no, I have it on the new server within the file system.

Comment

Can you try creating a Recovery Store and mounting the old databse there? From there you can ExMerge any info out to a .pst and import into the new/current store. The only thing the recovery store breaks on SBS is the automated backup and I wouldn't leave the recovery store around permanently either as you are only allowed to have one Store Group on Exchange Standard(SBS) except for recovery purposes.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hey,

Tried that just but not had a lot of luck, from what I understand the database should be placed within the recovery storage group "Transaction Log" folder. In this case it is:

Code:
          E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Recovery Storage Group
          I add the storage group configured as above, both system path and transaction log paths point here. I then right click and add a database to the recovery group but there is no database listed apart from the normal online SBS database.

Within the recovery group options it shows the prefix as R00 so I deleted the group, renamed the log prefixes and re-added but this has not helped. Here is a screenshot of the setup

Has anyone ever experienced something similar?

*Edit*

Here is a screenshot of the databases that are shown when adding..

Last edited by damogill; 29th August 2007, 09:51.

Comment

Does this help?
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824126
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X