Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying SBS 2000 SP1a after SP4 and Exchange SP3

Hi everyone.
    I have a system running Small Business Server 2000 for few years now.
    I've applied all updates available on Automatic Updates, Installed Win 2000 SP4 and Exchange 2000 SP3.

Strange enough, i've "forgotten" about SP1.
    My question is - Will installing SP1a now cause any problems? This update is not offered in the automatic updates, and never was. I know it should come with sp4 and exchange sp3 builtin, but later updates have already been applied to the system.

The reason i want to install SP1a in first place, is because it is a required step before upgrading to SBS 2003.

Help is appreciated.

Re: Applying SBS 2000 SP1a after SP4 and Exchange SP3

From the download page of SP1a:
    Overview
    Small Business Server 2000 SP1a contains the same updates as Small Business Server 2000 SP1 (released on August 16, 2002), plus Microsoft Windows® 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4). If you are not running Small Business Server 2000 SP1, install SP1a for the latest updates to the operating system, server applications, and security features.

Note If you are already running SP1, there is no need to install SP1a. Small Business Server 2000 SP1a contains the same updates as SP1, plus Windows 2000 SP4.
    So it would seem you don't need to run SP1a, if you already have Windows 2000 SP4.
    In addition, I would strongly consider doing the migration by Swing Migration (www.sbsmigration.com) to make sure you get a clean server! After 5 or more years of updates and patches, I wouldn't feel safe with an in-place upgrade of my only DC in the organisation - especially as without an image of the server, you will have great difficulty in restoring SBS 2000 if something goes wrong.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
    X