SBS2003 and Netbios names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 and Netbios names

Set up a SBS2003 server to replace a 2003 Workgroup server on the same box.. I gave the new server a new name, but after the install, the client mentioned that one of their apps uses UNC to access pdf's and scanned documents. Since there are thousands of documents, it is impossible to change the path for every link. I created a new DNS entry for the old server name and also added the name to the hosts files of the workstations. I can ping the old name of the server, but the paths are still not valid.

Is it possible to add an additional netbios name to a SBS2003 server, or does anyone have a different approach I can take.

Thanks,

ulimi2002

Re: SBS2003 and Netbios names

You could install another box (XP) with the old name, recreate the share and move all the data to there. You would also be limited to 10 connections on XP - otherwise you would have to make it a server.
    Not really helpful, but next time do the planning in advance - not after the fact.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thank you for the kind advice. Since I have realized my error and have posted a request for assistance, the last thing I needed was your idea that you know what my work entails.

However, since you have kindly replied, I have one more question. Do you know if rendom will work on an SBS server or only on a 2003 Server. The only thing I came up on was that Exchange needed to be SP1 and higher, which it is.

Thank you,
      ulimi2002

Comment

Rendom CAN be made to work on SBS but the consensus is it is not worth the effort. Rebuild the domain from scratch and use ExMerge to move the Exchange data.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X