No announcement yet.

Questions: Migrating SBS 2000 Server to New SBS 2000 Server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions: Migrating SBS 2000 Server to New SBS 2000 Server

I have a Windows SBS 2000 server that is getting a bit outdated. I am looking to purchase a new server but I am not sure how to go about the migration. I am looking to migrate the existing SBS 2000 license and CALS to the new server. In a Windows 2000 server environment I can just add a server and DCPROMO it in, but I can't do this in SBS. This brings up the following questions:

1. Since I am decom'ing the old server can I move the existing SBS 2000 license and CALS to the new server? Does the license allow for this?
    2. How do I go about migrating the data, user accounts and Active Directory content to a new server, essentially making the new server completely take the place of the old server? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

It's a bit nasty procedure, but has been proven to work:

1. Install W2K Standard + SP3 on a new server
    2. dcpromo it and join as new DC to the existing domain
    3. make sur the DNS zones on SBS are AD integrated (if not, make them)
    4. on the new server install DNS and make sure the zones are replicated
    5. Make the new DC a GC
    6. Remove the GC role from SBS
    7. Make sure the replication is working and both servers have no errors
    8. Install SBS2000 OVER the W2K Standard (run setup.exe from SBS2000 CD while running W2K server)
    9. Make a lot of coffee and make sure you have SP3 files handy.
    10. Check the logs for errors
    11. Move the mailboxes to the new server
    12. Move public folders (if any)
    13. Update MX record
    14. Move the Free/Busy role and etc.. (follow the instruction in the following KB:
    15. Give this setup a week and take the old SBS down
    16. If only errors you get are about replication, you are all set and you can demote the old SBS (or just clean it's the metadata from AD using ntdsutil)

Not for the faint harted, but this works.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Thanks much Guy! I appreciate that bit of info.

Do you know if there are any MS Whitepapers on this? Also I have heard that SBS will only allow another DC for a certain amount of time, then it will stop functioning. Is this true and if so do you know how long they will coexist before one detonates? =)

I am not aware of any MS papers regarding the process. The problem is that during the transition you are actually violating the license agreement, so I doubt there are any MS papers on that.

As for second DC, this is urban legend:;en-us;Q295765
        Windows 2000 Server
        You can have other domain controllers and member servers in your Small Business Server network, however, Small Business Server 2000 must be set up as the root domain controller of a Microsoft Active Directory forest. This set up can prevent Small Business Server 2000 from serving as a corporate branch office or a divisional server of a larger organization with an existing Active Directory or Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 domain infrastructure. Small Business Server 2000 cannot be added to an existing domain. You must install the Small Business Server domain first, and then you can add additional domain controllers or member servers to the Small Business Server 2000 domain.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

And now you can try as an even better alternative

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]

Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.