Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Reinstalling Exchange 2003 on Small Business Server 2003

Hello all,

I'm currently doing some consulting work for a small real estate firm, and as part of that they've asked me to help migrate their email over to an Exchange system and installing a BES server. The server was configured about 2 years ago by a different company, and after I had setup the accounts for everyone I was having issues with Public Folders and the Offline Address List and thus decided to reinstall. I started by uninstalling Exchange and everything seemed to be fine. I then started up the Add/Remove components wizard again and set it up to reinstall Exchange, popped in the CD, etc... . However, about halfway through the install I got an error about the IIS Store not registering correctly, and was prompted with the "Cancel", "Retry". Retrying results in the same error, but after a cancel it proceeds and finishes the install with the same error message at the end. I attributed this to a fluke and uninstalled again, and then reinstalled and was prompted with the same error. I read through a few KB articles at this point and thought perhaps it had to do with IIS , and used this article 325889. To try and resolve the issue. This still did not solve the problem and now when uninstalling I get the error
    Code:
    "Setup failed while
    installing
    sub-component Exchange ActiveSync with error code 0X80072030 (please consult
    the installation log for detailed description). You may cancel the
    installation or try the failed step again." I have to cancel, retry does no
    good.
    and something identical for OMA. I'm at a loss as for what to do, and would really prefer to avoid a reinstall as I would have to setup numerous AntiVirus, Backup, and Database utilities. I have error logs available if they're needed.

Thank you for your time in advance

Re: Error Reinstalling Exchange 2003 on Small Business Server 2003

Since you posted the exact same thread over on the SBS newsgroup and you got asnwers from my fellow MVP Merv Porter, you may like to update the readers here on your progress to date:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...529b5?lnk=raot
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

The current state is more or less the same as it was when I started, even with the wonderful assistance from Merv Porter. I'd either already tried everything he had suggested or the new suggestions didn't work. Everything aside from Exchange works, so I may just wait for a new harddrive to come in so that I can do a full backup before I attempt a format and reinstall which will definitely be worthwhile If I'm going to be their sysadmin from now on.

Edit: Typo
      Last edited by Urthwhyte; 20th August 2007, 18:36.

Comment

FYI actually Merv is a HE and consider doing a swing migration rather that a complete reinstall - that way you will save your AD, and your workstation profiles to name just a few. You will also then be working from a known situation, if you do the install - something I like to do if I "take over" someone elses work.
        http://www.sbsmigration.com/
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X