Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is ISA server functioning if a router modem is used?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is ISA server functioning if a router modem is used?

Hi,

I am using a Dlink router modem for internet connection in my network through connection to a switch. Using this configuration, all domain users can connect to the internet even if IIS server is not set in the SBS server 2000. In this scenario, can the ISA server still function properly and can restrict certain domain users from using the internet?

Thanks.

Best regards,
    TKT

It sounds like you have your DLINK router setup as a DHCP server. As long as the clients can communicate directly to the router then ISA cannot restrict access. (i.e. you normally set proxy settings to point to the ISA server for internet content but a technically savvy user unchecks the "use a proxy server" checkbox to bypass the ISA server)

Is this the case?

Comment

Hi,

Yes, all the users can get connected to internet even if the server is off. They're using DHCP from SBS server, but as long as they point to the gateway which is the router modem, then they can get connected. So, any way to restrict their internet access?

Thanks.

Best regards,
      TKT

Comment

Hi,

The router modem is used because it doesn't require a proxy server or IIS server. The problem that I faced last time was that I used an ADSL modem and set up the IIS server, and let all the domain users to point to the IIS server for internet connection. They could connect to the internet through the IIS server, but they couldn't use their Microsoft Outlook after that, with error prompting that they didn't have access to open it. That's why we used router modem for internet connection. Any suggestion on solving the matter on restriction on using Microsoft Outlook?

Thanks.

Best regards,
        TKT

Comment

It sounds like something in your TCP/IP settings were incorrect. There are a couple of things that you will need to setup in order to get internet access going through the server and still maintain connection to use Outlook.

1. Disable DHCP on your router
          2. Enable DHCP on your SBS server
          3. Make sure to set your server to use the router as it's default gateway
          4. Configure your DHCP scope as follows:

003 Router [IP Address of your Router]
          006 DNS Servers [IP Address of your SBS Server]
          015 DNS Domain Name [Domain name of your DNS server] i.e. domain.local
          044 WINS/NBNS Servers [IP Address of your SBS Server]
          046 WINS/NBT Node Type: 0x8

Set the range of IPs to be something in the same subnet as the server, for example if your server's IP is 192.168.0.1 then set the range of IPs available to be 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.150.

NOTE: Make sure that your router's IP isn't in the range of IPs you are giving out to clients

Make sure to authorize your DHCP server to give out IPs. If it's already authorized there will be a green arrow in a white circle next to your DNS server's name in the DHCP manager.

Configure your DNS server with forwarders. With DNS manager open right click the server and choose properties. Click the forwarders tab and add a couple of DNS servers. Usually you put in your ISP's DNS servers but technically you can add others. Earlier we put your server's IP address into the DHCP scope. This way your clients will look only to your server, not any external DNS servers for resolution. Then it's the server's duty to look to external DNS servers for any requests it cannot resolve. This will cutdown on the load on your router for local traffic.

Hopefully after all of this is done you will have all internet going through your SBS server. Of course if the server is down then your PCs will not be able to get an IP address automatically.

Good Luck,

Hugh

Comment

Hi Tkt, I think if you want restrict users access using ISA server you have change your configuration, put a second NIC in your SBS server and connect your router modem directly with it (adjust the IP seting) not to the switch and configure your users default gateway to the SBS server (turn off DHCP Server in your router modem). After that you can use ISA Server (part of SBS) to configure a rules to block or allowed acces for your users. With this configuration your users will not able to access internet if your server was down.

Comment

Working...
            X