No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 FAX sends multiple copies

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 FAX sends multiple copies

I've been troubleshooting an odd problem that my telco insists isn't theirs (big surprise) where some (not all) FAXes sent from SBS2003 end up with multiple copies at the receiving end. This only recently started happening, and no configuration changes were made to the server.

I haven't been able to isolate it to any specific FAX numbers, as it doesn't do it all the time.

I have two FAX modems in my server, and I'm thinking that one of them may be failing, and not sending the proper tones across the line to alert the other FAX machine the FAX has ended or not receiving the tones back properly that the FAX has been received, so it sends it again. I've looked for a log that indicates which FAXes were sent by which modem, but I can't find one. Does it exist?

If anyone has any ideas or advice, I'd love to hear it.

Re: SBS 2003 FAX sends multiple copies

i dont see that type of log file... here is a list:

in addition, some cards have an internal web interface to view their logs with... a propritary log viewer of sorts.

do you have some specifics?
    Last edited by James Haynes; 10th August 2007, 16:01.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Go into CP/Phones and Modems. In the properties of the modem there is a check box for log files so you can see what the modem is actually doing. Apart from that there is :
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\ActivityLog
      though since I have never deployed more than one modem per installation, I don't know if it differentiates between the two.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I appreciate the feedback. I found the logs in both places and will begin parsing through the data to see if I can find anything.

Both modems are USR 56K FAX modems, and I'm not aware of any way to log into the card itself, but they both pass Windows diagnostics with no errors. At this point I'm just going to try and find a pattern and see if I can determine when the problem is actually happening.

Thanks again!