Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIS and Apache on one machine?

Hi,

I got a question here. At the moment, my server that runs on SBS 2003 doesn't have SQL server installed (i think this is because i didn't install Exchange Server during the installation of SBS 2003 OS). However, it's got IIS up and running to get the sharepoint to work. That's fine.

My question is if i want to use PHP and MySQL on the server. I know that we can install PHP and MySQL individually. And PHP works ok with IIS (i think). Now, i have found a software that has everything in a package including Apache, PHP, MySQL. All in one package.

I'd be tempted to install everything as a package to the server. Then, another issue raised here is that whether i can have Apache and IIS running on the one machine (Server). Would they interfere with one another and hence affecting the performance in overall?

The reason is that i haven' been successfull to install PHP and MySQL individually.

Need your help.

Thank you in advance

Re: IIS and Apache on one machine?

i think this is because i didn't install Exchange Server during the installation of SBS 2003 OS
    no, its becaue you do not have SQL server installed. SQL Server and Exchange are not related. Just FYI, SBS without exchange is kinda missing the point of SBS....

Would they interfere with one another and hence affecting the performance in overall?
    There would be no issue in performance (provided your Hardware is OK) You will however not be able to run apache on port 80 as IIS is using it. Again missing the general point of apache but OK nonetheless.

EDIT: you are right that PHP works just fine on IIS
    Last edited by Lior_S; 8th August 2007, 14:08.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thank you Lior_S for your reply

Thank you for making clear the actual point in having SBS installed.

However, I don't understand when you said i didn't have SQL Server running. What about the process of "sqlserv" that i found in the task manager. Isn't that for SQL Server?

Thank you in advance

Comment

Looking back I can see how my reply may have been confusing.
        You mentioned that you do not have SQL server, and I was responding that the only reason you do not have SQL server is because it itself was not installed. It had nothing to do with exchange. If you do indeed have it installed, that is fine. But again nothing to do with exchange. Hope that helps.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thank you Lior_S for your reply.

Yep, it helps. But one thing that i don't get it is that (btw, this question has nothing to do with the Exchange Server) I can't really tell whether it's got the SQL Server installed or not.

On one side, it's there because i can see the processes up and running (e.g. sqlservr.exe (x2), sqlmangr.exe, and sqlagent.exe) in the task manager. On the other hand, when i go to start, then clicked all programs, i could not find SQL Server there. This is really bizarre.

The reason i'm asking this is that i'm planning on installing it on the Server but if it's already there, i just go ahead and use it as i need it for .NET application for database application.

Thank you in advance

Comment

Looking for something on Start -> Programs is not the best way to find out if it's installed or not. Especially not components like the SQL Server...
            1) Look in Control Panel -> Add Remove programs for ordinary software (and again, not all the installed software shows up there, depending on how the developer wrote the software), or
            2) Look in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services for pieces like the SQL Server, that should run as a service.
            Actually, the best way to see if you have a software or not is not look for its processes running (like you did in TaskManager).

Useful links for this matter:
            - ProcessLibrary - a site that helps you find what process belongs to which software
            - Microsoft's (once SysInternals') tools ProcessExplorer and ProcessMonitor. I advice you should start with the first one, since it is simpler and easier to learn. It will give you all the info you need at the moment.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -
            «««««

Comment

SBS installs several instances of MSDE, which appear in the task manager as sqlserver.exe. Instances include Sharepoint, Monitoring and possibly ISA logging. Anyone using BUExec may also have another instance of sqlserver.exe (MSDE).
              MSDE is a "free" constrained version of SQL, so although you may not have installed it yourself, SBS will have installed these instances!
              BTW it may be time to change the title on this thread
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

The reason i'm asking this is that i'm planning on installing it on the Server but if it's already there, i just go ahead and use it as i need it for .NET application for database application.
                You will have to install SQL server anyway, as you cannot use those instances that , as teiger pointed out, are installed for SBS components.

By install I mean add a new instance; you will see options for it once you start to install.

Comment

Working...
                X