Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to delete an old, obsolete replication DC

This is a network I inherited:

Original Domain Controller was an old Acer 700MHz (Avpserver1) with Windows 2000 Server. New network installed - Small Business Server 2003 (Server1) on a Dell 1600SC.

Old Acer server was left on the network as a second domain controller and a replication partner. This is where I entered the scene.

I scrapped the old Acer and replaced it with a new Dell running Server 2003. I had to keep the name of the server the same as the old Acer I removed from the network in order to keep the projects that were created Autodesk Inventor intact.

I went into the WINS properties and deleted Avpserver1 as a replication partner however I still get NTDS Replication errors in the Directory Service event log.

In Active Directory Users and Computers, the only domain controller that shows up is the SBS server, Server1. Avpserver shows up as an SBS computer and is only a member server now that it has been replaced.

In Active Directory Sites and Services, Avpserver1 shows up as a Domain Controller and a replication partner with Server1. I also not it does not show itself attached to a domain like Server1 does.

When I try to delete the object it fails. I am told to use DCPROMO. The error says if the server is permanently offline, for which it is as a Domain Controller, I must delete them one at a time. What do I have to delete "one at a time"?

Thanks for any assistance on this.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Trying to delete an old, obsolete replication DC

A little bit of research would have yielded http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498/EN-US/
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Teiger, thanks for the link. My Google research turned up many hits but I seemed to have missed this one.

The error I am getting does not hinder the operation of the network. Should I leave it alone or should I repair it? What would you do?

This is what Microsoft warns in the link above and I am wondering if it is worth the risk. I am three hours away from this customer.

SUMMARY
      This article describes how to remove data in Active Directory after an unsuccessful domain controller demotion.

Warning If you use the ADSI Edit snap-in, the LDP utility, or any other LDAP version 3 client, and you incorrectly modify the attributes of Active Directory objects, you can cause serious problems. These problems may require you to reinstall Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, or both Windows and Exchange. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems that occur if you incorrectly modify Active Directory object attributes can be solved. Modify these attributes at your own risk.

Thanks

Comment

DO IT! and use NTDSUTIL !
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

So far the cleanup went pretty smooth Teiger. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
          X