Replace SBS 2003 Hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace SBS 2003 Hardware

I've got a client whose previous SBS server (Windows 2000 SBS) died a week or so ago. To solve the problem in short order I ended up placing a temporary 2003 SBS server online - which is now they're production server. I had to do the complete "rebuild the domain" process due to a loss of AD. (VERY long story that I won't put you guys through.)

So now they've got a brand new server that I need to put into place. Their network isn't that big (17 workstations) and they only have need of the SQL server component on the server. So I'm not and won't be using most of SBS when I'm done.

My problem is that I need to put the new hardware in service and I DO NOT want to go through the domain rebuild process again.

So here is what I think I need to do:

On the Production network:
    1. Install a temp Windows 2003 SBS Server into the domain.
    2. Make the temp SBS server a Domain Controller.
    3. Allow time for/Force an AD replication.
    4. Unplug the temp SBS server from the network - move to offline network.
    5. Make backups of everything on the existing SBS server.

On the Offline network:
    1. Seize the FSMO roles on the temp SBS server.
    2. Build the new permanent SBS server.
      [**]Use original server name and IP address.
    3. Make the permanent SBS server a DC.
    4. Allow time for/Force an AD Replication.
    5. Shut down temp SBS server.
    6. Seize the FSMO roles on the permanent SBS server.
    7. Remove the temp SBS server.

Back on the Production network:
    1. Shut down the production server - replace with the permanent SBS server.
    2. Confirm that the swap "took". (log on to a workstation and look at event logs)
    3. Restore Data from backups.
    4. Everything should now be working.

I know there's a lot of little steps in there - like DHCP, DNS, etc. But the main points are what's important to me now.

Does this sound logical to everyone? Is there a simpler route?

The main point is to avoid the domain rebuild and the workstation reconfiguration.

Yes, I know about the SWING kit - from what I hear it's much more complex than I need it to be (or think I need it to be). Besides $200 would blow this customer's budget. (after spending $8000 on a new server)
    --

ScatterBrain

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    -- The Mythbusters

Re: Replace SBS 2003 Hardware

1 Swing kit is not more complex and definitely not more than it needs to be.
    2 You have some major steps missing - you do not mention Exchange, for example - Swing prevents those missing steps!
    3 If $200 breaks the client and your system doesn't work, how much will he pay to correct it, directly to you for your work, and indirectly in lost production?
    4 Check out archives in this forum and KB 884453
    5 $8000 for a server to run SBS? That must be one helluva server.......
    Last edited by teiger; 29th July 2007, 11:09.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by ScatterBrain View Post

Yes, I know about the SWING kit - from what I hear it's much more complex than I need it to be (or think I need it to be). Besides $200 would blow this customer's budget. (after spending $8000 on a new server)
      You need to lay all the pros and cons to your client about only spending $200 on this. Explain to them if they go with a cheap option that is not recommended that it can cause future problems.

I find clients who know the big picture with pros and cons will spend the neccessary money to save money in time

Hope that makes sense!

Comment

Re: Replace SBS 2003 Hardware - Solved

I ended up going with this Microsoft Whitepaper and ADMT. Things went better than I expected them too.

In the end, it took about 22 hours to complete (some slow computers and other issues had to be taken care of), but when I was complete, no one lost their profile.

As of right now (three days later) everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all the help and recommendations.
        --

ScatterBrain

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
        -- The Mythbusters

Comment

That is probably 8-10 more hours than a Swing would have taken. Who paid for that?
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X