Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate winSBS2003 to winSBS2003 !!! help

I have this situation:

- one existing winSBS2003 (SP2) server (the machine is going to be disabled because it is old and the license was a partner licence and about to expire)

- I just bought one new winSBS2003R2 license and I have a new machine for it

I would like to have the NEW SBS license installed on this new machine but I'd like to keep/migrate AD users and computers from the old SBS before I throw it away.

The old server machine also has Exchange server (SP2) on it and I'd like to move the database if possible.

I found two ways of doing it :
    - A - install new license on the new machine with a new host name. Go with the installation just until the first login and stop. Join the domain (old server is still alive and working at this point). After joining the domain and dcpromo on the new server both old and new server wil work as domain controllers for 14 days. It means I'd have 14 days to demote the old server from being a domain controller.
    If this is correct I need some details and info about how to move exchange as well)

- B - install new license on the new machine with the same host name as the old machine. I didn't find details here or better say some details that don't make too much sense and it looked too... improvised to me, I don't think I like this solution but I mentioned it .....just in case someone knows better

I'd like a solution that is the least disruptive for the production environment. If moving mailboxes is too complicated and I have to install exchange from scratch ...no problem because users use POP3 to get their emails but I really want to avoid any work (other than reconfigure POP3 settings) at the client level. That is very important to me because these users work 7 days a week.

Thank you very much,
    Dan
    [email protected]

Re: Migrate winSBS2003 to winSBS2003 !!! help

WWW.SBSMIGRATION.COM
    and yes I'm shouting because I believe any perfunctary search of the archives would have found that !!

Normal service will now be resumed.....
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Yes but the problem is there is no WinSBS2003 to WinSBS2003 migration (only 2000->2003)

Dan

Comment

Dan, did you click on the link Mr Teiger kindly (but loudly) provided for you?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Yes but the problem is there is no WinSBS2003 to WinSBS2003 migration (only 2000->2003)

Dan

Are you male? I have a (female)friend who claims men don't READ !!!
          From the site:
          Complete Project Guides to Flexible Solutions
          (4) Documentation Scenarios Available to Choose Ė When placing your order, choose the one project scenario from four options:
          Windows or SBS Upgrades: 2000 to 2003
          NT / Exch 5.x/ SBS4.x Upgrades: NT to Win or SBS 2003
          Redeploy SBS 2000
          Redeploy SBS 2003

Again:
          Redeploy SBS 2003

Does that help?
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

I apologize but I searched everywhere on that website (WWW.SBSMIGRATION.COM) and I couldn't find what you are talking about. Maybe I am too tired but could you please be so kind and just indicate the exact link?

----------------------------

On the other hand I want to ask anyone's opinion about this link:
            http://support/microsoft.com/kb/884453
            Is the solution presented in this link a good one for my case here?

Thank you,
            Dan

Comment

OK so you don't believe me!

http://www.sbsmigration.com/kit-overview.php

And my opinion about the link is no one can use it .......

Coz the link doesn't work!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453
              The link you intended can't be used either, since you cannot put a new SBS in an existing SBS domain.
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Thank you again but:

1 - I can spend about the same kind of money to call Microsoft tech support and have a complete solution and follow ups till the problem is solved. Why wouldn't I prefer that instead of paying 200$ for a documentation that I have to pay upfront and have no idea about it beforehand.

2 - what happened to free documentation? No such thing anymore?

Comment

and...

3) I understand there is email support as well in case I get the documentation? I'd like to see a little description, is that possible?

Dan

Comment

Just do what everyone else can do and READ the bloody site yourself. OR, provide Steven with a return airfare and US$1,000 per day and he will come and do the job for you. OR you could take your hardware, drive to New Orleans and ask Jeff to do it for you.

If you are unwilling to invest in a $200 document that you can charge back to your client or claim on tax then I suggest you talk to Microsoft, pay their rate and get NO documentation that you can use for the future.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you again but:

1 - I can spend about the same kind of money to call Microsoft tech support and have a complete solution ....
                      SWING Migration is THE complete solution, I can assure you. Actually all the info Jeff gives is available for free in bits. What you are paying for is the SOLUTION as Jeff has put it all together for you, checked it out, has a deep understanding of the methodolgy (eg knows where OEM installs have hidden traps because they used all capitals instead of mixed case or such) and can support you to completion.
                      2 - what happened to free documentation? No such thing anymore?
                      Look on the site and it compares solutions to the free MS whitepaper using ADMT etc. Sure, create a new domain and then spend on average 2hrs per workstation (if you are lucky!) recreating all the shares and printers and fixing up the profiles. Now let's see, 2hours times 10 workstations time $80/hr technician equals $1600. Seems like swing is a good deal to me - unless you like milking your clients!
                      TIA

sigpic

Comment

To further reinforce the point, I, just 3 or 4 weeks ago completed a full SBS 2003 migration from one old SBS 2003 server to a new SBS2003 R2 Premium box, using Swing migration.

Just buy it, it works...and there are people who use this method who are experts in the field.

Comment

Thank you, the last two answers were a bit helpfull. I only have one more question:
                          My old server has a bunch of things installed on it like Norton Antivirus Server and some applications.

The new machine is not going to have Norton as I am switching to Trend and no application. Is there a way in this swing migration to transfer ONLY the Active Directory Objects (like users, computes, policies + exchange). I mean....I want to keep the new system perfectly clean (clean registries...nothing there from the old machine)
                          The new machine and the old machine have nothing in common and the new SBS is going to be virtualized on the new machine.

So...is this possible with swing?
                          And....can I prepare everything offline... and just switch it when it's ready?

Tkank you,
                          Dan

Comment

Is there a way in this swing migration to transfer ONLY the Active Directory Objects
                            Yes ~ Swing only moves AD and GPOs.

So...is this possible with swing?
                            Yes

And....can I prepare everything offline... and just switch it when it's ready?
                            Yes ~ The new system is mostly prepared offline. There are minimal interuptions to the regular users. That's what makes the process appealing.

Comment

Working...
                            X