Spooler Service Continually Crashes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spooler Service Continually Crashes

I had a issue with my domain controller (SBS 2003). The print spooler service continually was crashing I was recieving "Spooler Subsystem encountered a problem and needs to close" error messages, and within the event viewer I found multiple Service Control Manager errors, that stated "The print spooler service terminated unexpectidly. It has done this 5 times." I have looked around for some answers on the net, and the most common thing I found was that it might be caused by some 3rd party monitoring services running, but there is nothing but the defualt windows printing services running. Also I looked at what kind of events were taking place right before the errors in the event viewer but there is no pattern, the events leading up the to printer spooler error are very random. Any help would be much appreciated.

Are you using the MS generic drivers or 3rd party drivers ?
    You might want to try updating the printer drivers to the latest.

As a (very) dirty workaround you could configure the service to restart automatically on the crash (take a look at the properties of the "Print Spooler" service in the Services MMC. The default is "Take no action")
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Two of the printers are using Microsoft drivers that came with sbs 2003, and the other 2 printers are using their manufacturers drivers, and they are the latest version. Yes setting the service to automatically restart if it fails might bring the printing functionality back. The only problem is I had to sit here and restart the service countless times myself to finally get the service to stay running and it took quite a while. So that is not really a viable solution for me. Good temporary fix though.

Comment

I am probably shooting into the void, but it's worth checking that you do not have viruses. Spooler depends on RPC service and will fail if RPC is misbehaving.

If you have antivirus software on the server it might be worth a shot to exclude the spool directory from the scans (c:\windows\system32\spool if I am not mistaken)
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

I did find a worm on the server it was WORM_HYBRIS.B <-- as identified by trend micro.

Comment

Working...
          X