Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible to perform ghost copy?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me here. I have a server that runs on SBS 2003. Recently, i noticed that the hard disk is getting almost full now.
    At the moment, it has RAID 1 mirroring happening.

What i'd like to do is to to replace the current hard drives and get two new hard disks (250G) to perform a RAID 1 mirroring. My problem is that i don't want to start it all over again namely installing SBS 2003, user CALS licenses, set up all the client workstations, and so on.

Is there a better way of doing this? unsure if ghost mirror software could help to make a copy of the whole content of hard drive. That way, i don't have to re-install SBS 2003.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

Re: possible to perform ghost copy?

Ghost, Acronis, Paragon, Storagecraft....
    All are possible ways to move your data. You could also do ASR backup/restore. If you have a valid mirror, you can always keep one disk as a working copy and ry with the other one.

Good luck (it works!)
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I know I will be confronted with the same scenario in the not too distant future and in experimenting with Ghost, I discovered that it will not work with a RAID array. My expectation is that if you replaced one of the RAID hard disks with a new blank disk, even if the new disk was a larger one, the software would be clever enough to duplicate the existing information. This is what I was hoping, anyway.

One would have thought that after the system had completed one disk, the remaining (smaller) one could be replaced. Has anyone ever tried this? Any comments? Keith L.

Comment

I'm confused; are you talking about software RAID or hardware RAID? Only as far as I was concerned, hardware-based RAID is utterly invisible to the OS and to programs running via the OS. As far as the OS and programs are concerned, it's a disk. Software RAID is probably different and I can see why Ghost might complain...

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I actually believe the opposite:
          Ghost works at boot level and, as such, will not see the RAID driver. Therefore it will not be able to contact the disks, whereas the OS can via the RAID driver. OTOH Software RAID at boot level is just a disk that Ghost can read.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X