Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demoting SBS2000

Hi,

I currently have a Windows SBS2000 box which is on its last legs. Its my intention to migrate the exchange enviroment over to a Windows 2003 Server running Exchange 2003/7 (not sure yet) and demote the sbs server down to a member or standalone server since it runs an application which cannot be moved of the server for the time being.

Is it possible to demote the sbs2000 box so it we can still access the application in question. Or can we move the sbs server into a domain of its own and still access just the application in question?

Hope you can help me.

Re: Demoting SBS2000

No! No way! No can do!
    SBS HAS to be the head of the domain/forest and can NEVER be demoted to a member server - not unless you want it to reboot automatically every hour that is.
    Swing Migration is your answer as it will make the new SBS 2003 server look like your old server to the rest of the network. Of course you will have to reinstall your application as-is. That may be a problem as inferred from your post - but you will have to work around that some day.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Ok, that was the answer I was fearing. Not good.

What about this senario, Build a new domain, have the new Exchange Server in this domain and all the desktops etc. Have the SBS in its own domain and connect to the application from the desktops using a default username/password, is this possible?

Regards
      DW

Comment

Well you can't create it as a trust. It may work as PTA (Pass Through Authentication), but I wouldn't rely on it.
        Another avenue you could explore is using StorageCraft or Acronis and see if they do imaging to dissimilar hardware. Then once it is on the new server, you could try an in-place upgrade. It wouldn't be a clean install, but it may be the solution you have been looking for.

Tell us about the application and why it is impossible to re-install it.
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

The application is Sage, the problem is we have a support contract with it. We are trying to avoid the cost (charged by the support company) of getting reinstalled onto a new box. If we install it onto a new box, they wont support us going forward, they must do the install. Also, if we can leave it on the sbs2000 box, we avoid the need to buy a new copy of windows 2003 server and a sql license which is needed to run sage. As always, this flipping project is cost driven

We will look into the possibility of imaging the sbs2000 box onto another box to see if the PTA angle works.

Comment

But if you upgrade your SBS to 2003 R2 your cost is about US$600 for the server + 5 CALS. Surely that outweighs the cost of buying a separate Windows server and SQL license?
            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X