SBS 2000 upgrade with SA to new box?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2000 upgrade with SA to new box?

I met with a potential customer that currently has an SBS 2000 installation (25 CALS) on an HP server that is about six years old.

The purchased SBS 2000 with 'software assurance' and Microsoft provided them with an 'upgrade' version of SBS 2003.

The customer wants to upgrade the server and I am looking at a Dell PowerEdge 2900. They want to know if they can use the upgrade software on a new server because we will not be upgrading the existing server?

If they purchased software assurance, should their SBS 2000 CALS also be upgradable? We have not been able to find any SA documentation and the company that installed the server six years ago is no longer around.

TIA.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: SBS 2000 upgrade with SA to new box?

FOA, puchasing server SA without CALs SA would be pretty foolish, but there should be a record of it on the MS site, eopen.microsoft.com.

Second of all, if you want to preserve ANYTHING from your 2000 box (and I recommend that you do!), then use Swing Migration from www.sbsmigration.com. It has the advantages of a clean install with your existing AD, workstation profiles,Exchange and permissions.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Is there any issues using swing migration to install a new Dell server that comes preloaded with SBS 2003 R2?
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

No problem at all. You format/fdisk/redefine the disk array you bought and install over. Nearly everyone I know in the SBS world recommends this step with OEM installs anyway!!
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X