Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defrag on SBS 2003 raid volume

Hi,

I have a SBS 2003 SP1 server with a 80gb system disk (C and a Raid Array (G for all the data and the exchange database.

I ran a defrag on the raid array the other day and after it completed not much had changed. I ran the analyse tool and it reccommend another defrag.

Has anyone got any advice on keeping the raid array less fragmented ?

thanks

brian
    Last edited by ahinson; 18th June 2007, 06:01. Reason: Turned off smilies.

Re: Defrag on SBS 2003 raid volume

Schedule the defrag to run during off hours automatically. Defragging once every 24 hours should help keep it from getting too bad.

Also, the analyse tool is kinda flakey. I'd just set the scheduled defrag.

Type defrag from the cmd line to see the options. Decide how often you want defrag, then schedule a task with those options.
    Last edited by ahinson; 18th June 2007, 06:08.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Make sure you bring the Exchange stores offline. Otherwise the Exchange database might get corrupted.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks guys.

My last defrag took around 36hours!

I dismounted exchange and disabled all services that were not required to minimize any mistakes.

I am just worried that the job is not getting done correctly as it is still reporting it needs defraged. I will run another on next weekend and see if it helps.

brian

Comment

If you have the time, I would stop the information store, copy the Exchange databases off to another volume, defrag, then copy the Exchange dataases back and restart the store. I am presuming that the Exchange files are the biggest files on the volume, and removing them temporarily will give the defrag its best chance at doing something good to the disk layout. If the defrag goes well then there should be enough contiguous space to put the Exchange files back whole
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks teiger good tip.

So to get things clear.
            1. Stop all non essential services
            2. Copy the exchange folder Exchsrvr to another location
            3. Run the defrag.
            4. Copy Exchsrvr back to the server and start all services again.

Comment

You only need to stop Exchange Information Store and only copy Exchsrvr\MDBDATA.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I will try that and report back!

thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                X