Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a 2003 server to a 2000 Domain, with a twist...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a 2003 server to a 2000 Domain, with a twist...

I have an existing 2000 server domain that I'd like to add a new 2003 server to. This new server is running Small Business 2003. Upon getting the server from Dell, the server setup wizard proceeded to walk me through the setup of Active Directory, and I gave it the existing domain information, hoping it would just add the server to the existing domain as a member server, but it appears it's now set up as a DC. The DNS server is also up and running, but no clients are using it.

Now, I haven't run any of the ADprep stuff on the 2000 server yet, and I intend to, but here comes the twist. Since this new server is behaving like a DC in an existing domain, but nothing's replicating, what happens when I run dcpromo on it? Will it demote it, and will I have to run DC promo again to begin replication? Once I run ADprep on the 2000 server will replication begin, without me having to to dcpromo on the 2003 server? Any help is greaty appreciated...
    Last edited by ddenton; 14th June 2007, 22:13.

Re: Adding a 2003 server to a 2000 Domain, with a twist...

And BTW, neither server is running Exchange, and I have no plans to do so any time soon.
    Last edited by ddenton; 14th June 2007, 22:13.

Comment

Small Business Server 2003 is ABSOLUTELY NOT Windows Server 2003. They are two utterly separate products.

What I believe you have achieved, is what I would have thought was impossible. I think you now have a Windows 2000 AD Domain and an SBS 2003 AD Domain on the same network with the same names. They will probably "see" each other at some point and start getting VERY VERY confused.

As far as I know (I am very probably wrong so wait for someone like Teiger to come along) SBS 2003 is a one-shot story; you can only have one DC in one Domain and it's a 2003 AD (which has a different Schema to Windows 2000). Alongside that, there's the fact that SBS2003 IS a domain controller. Full stop. it cannot run as a member server or stand-alone server. Did you run the "ADPREP" tool on the 2000 box before you ran the SBS2k3 box up?

Oh, and BTW, SBS2003 has Exchange installed; so like it or not it's running. It's just not set up yet.

Whether I'm right or wrong above, you're in what is likely to be a bad situation and will need to act quickly.
      Last edited by Stonelaughter; 15th June 2007, 00:17.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Moved to SBS Forum.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I did a little more research on MS's site, and they don't specifically say that adding an SBS 2003 server to an existing 2000 domain will cause the end of life as we know it. They have a doc laying out the necessities here...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453

One thing they say very clearly is that not more than 1 SBS server can exist on the network. The old 2000 server this one is replacing will likely be slicked and rebuilt, then re-added as a DC for failover purposes, but it will probably stay a 2000 server (standard edition I think).

I plan on prepping the 2000 server for the adding of a 2003 server to its domain, then I'll see if anything replicates. This is a VERY small AD database with only 6 users, and truthfully I'm tempted to manually enter the info instead of worrying about replication. Does anyone else have any input on this? Since both of these servers think they are on the same domain (same "company.local" name...) then if I disconnect the old server from the network (assuming the same users exist on the new AD), will the existing users simply be able to log in as normal?

Comment

You cannot demote the SBS2003 server. If you do after a while it will start rebooting itself. You CAN have other DCs on the domain with the SBS2003 server. I'm not sure if replication will happen after you do ADPrep.

Comment

If it's not replicating there is a reason. Did you run ADPREP on the 2000 box, or not? If you did not, that is why it will not replicate; because the schemas are different. If you did, you will have another issue with replication which you will need to investigate - adding the users manually to the SBS box before it has successfully talked to the mother ship would only complicate matters.

I'm happy to be corrected on the number of possible DC's; like I said in the first place.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

I haven't run adprep yet on the old server. I was just getting my ducks in a row first. As for dlevasseur's question, I was planning on demoting the 2000 server after all had been successfully replicated to the SBS 2003 server.

At this point I believe I'm just gonna have to run adprep and see what happens. In cases like this, can anyone watching say if there's a risk of damaging the existing AD database? Do the Adprep commands necessary run any risk of breaking something, or are they benign with respect to the original AD?

If something goes wrong, I'd like to be able to roll back the changes.

Comment

You can't roll it back; but the whole idea of the command is to prepare an existing AD for the SUBSEQUENT arrival of a newer OS. It is, therefore benign and will not harm your existing AD. I would advise you however to remove the SBS box from the network prior to running ADPREP on the 2k box, and then bring it back online after. If it doesn't work then, you will probably have to reinstall the SBS box from scratch; which as it is new shouldn't be much of an issue. When you do, give it a new name.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes. The plan is to do it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ddenton View Post
                      They have a doc laying out the necessities here...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453
                      This is the definitive doc for doing what you describe.
                      I would just question two thing.

a) why would you NOT want to use Exchange especially internally for Calendaring etc?
                      b) do you really need your old server as a "backup"? What exactly are you backing up? If you want to maintain connectivity and you use 2 NICs, you cannot get out anyway. DNS is provided by the SBS as is DHCP (and WINS) - at least they should be. Replication should be a non-issue unless you have multiple sites. Better spend your time maintaing your SBS and, in the event it goes down, geting it back up as quickly as possible.
                      Document redirection, off-line files and Outlook cached mode can keep your workstations limping along whilst you get your sever back up. Get your DR/Business Continuity Plan in place and you should NEVER be off-line more than a day in the WORST case. This is usually enough for most small businesses.

Just my 0.02(insert your currency here) worth!
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Well, I prepped the 2000 server with no issues at all, and when I ran DCpromo on the new 2003 SBS, the only option I had was to demote the server. So, I continued with the demotion, one part of which was to uninstall AD. Sooo, I proceeded with this step, but after 45 minutes of staring at one step in the process (terminating LDAP communication, something something...) I cancelled the operation and attempted to run DCpromo again. The server gave me an error saying that DCpromo was still running and another operation couldn't start until that once was finished. So, I rebooted the server, thinking that this might reset the process and allow me to run DCpromo again, finishing the AD removal.

Upon the reboot, the server actually appeared to behave like AD was no longer on the system. I was only given the choice to log on locally, and not on the domain. So at first glance all appeared to have actually been removed, until I noticed all of the AD admin tools still on the start menu. Just for giggles, I renamed the server and attempted to join the exiting domain as a member server and it worked. After this step, the system needed to reboot, so it did.

HOWEVER, the reboot took several hours. I can't even tell you how many because after 2 hours if watching I gave up and went home. I came back in the following afternoon (sunday) to find a login prompt, at which I entered the domain admin login, and yet again the login seemed to stall out. I gave it overnight (until monday) and the server had locked itself after logging it. I was able to readily log in and all seemed ok.

This brings me to the new problem. I had a gut feeling that the aborted DCpromo process didn't quite do it's job, so I went to Add Remove Windows Components to see if it were installed, and the process again, seems to take forever to load. I inserted the SBS install CD (#1) and attempted to atleast start an install, but it hangs on the next screen when it's building the install list. Where the heck do I go from here? I wanted to boot into safe mode to try and uninstall AD, but since the boot process takes forever I'd be sitting in front of the server, probably for hours, waiting to hit F8. Should I do this, or...

Slick and rebuild the server...

Try uninstalling and reinstalling SBS...

Kick the server to make myself feel better...

Comment

I would trash the SBS2003 and then clean up the 2000 DC
                          http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm
                          Then I would start over checking each stage of the original document especially those relating to DNS.
                          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                          http://www.wintra.co.il/
                          sigpic
                          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Do you mean uninstall SBS and reinstall, or nuke and pave the server entirely? Even if I could get Add Remove Windows Components, would re-installing the SBS software itself clean up what may have been messed up during the failed demotion? Am I incorrect in assuming that the SBS server software is separate from the OS, and that removing it would remove AD?

Comment

*SIGH*

The reason you had only a "Demote" option is because SBS *IS* a Domain Controller. Already. It has AD installed "out of the box". Do you remember when I said that SBS will not function correctly as a non-domain controller?

Now, you have to wipe the server and begin again. Which is probably best anyway because it has to join your existing domain.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X